How often do you do maintance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Feb 5, 2003.

1. How often do you polish, clean, restring, or do any general maintance on your bass?

I'd say I polish the body maybe once a month and I like to polish my strings almost weekly. The lubrication wears down too quickly :(. I haven't needed to restring yet.

What do you guys do?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I polish the Spector about every 2nd or 3rd string changing. I don't polish me, when they're dead, they're dead.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wait till my strings are dead (usually 6-8 gigs), pull em off the bass and chuck em into boiling water. While the strings are off I wipe the bass down, polish it if necessary. Chuck the boiled strings back on and they sound almost new. Well.... the first time you boil em they sound almost new. The second time they sound 50% new, the third time doesn't do anything so I chuch em out and get new ones.
  4. I polish my basses maybe twice a year (if I'm bored). I change strings every couple or three months (depending on how much I'm playing, practicing and rehearsing, and how much I use each bass). I try to wipe the strings down after each use, but I don't always remember. I don't try to resurrect strings. I agree w/ RAM. When they're dead, they're dead.

I rub some oil into the rosewood fingerboard from time to time.
  5. My Modulus...well, I've only changed the strings once since I've gotten it...

My P-Bass...I have no intentions on polishing/cleaning it, or taking my brand new TI-flats off...even if they become dead!!!

My MM Jazz Bass...well, that just stays in the case...I believe I've polished it numerous times and all around babying it...
  6. I wipe the body down about once a month.

Strings, the deader the better.

But I always wipe down the neck after each time I play.