How often do you get carded?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Always/Almost always

10 vote(s)
  2. More than half the time

7 vote(s)
  3. About half the time

11 vote(s)
  4. Less than half the time

20 vote(s)
  5. Never!

29 vote(s)
  1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The teenage drinking thread made me start thinking about the getting carded thing. I don't know if this is a national thing or not but here in Texas they are supposed to card you if you look under 35. The logic behind that is that some people that are not 21 look 21 but probably aren't going to look 30 or 35. So if they card everyone who looks under 35 they will cut down on poor age judgement or deceptive looks.

However, I'm 28 and I only get carded half the time or less when I buy wine or beer at the grocery store and I don't think I've EVER been carded when buying alcohol in a restaurant. I've been told that I look very young as well. The other day I got carded in the sporting goods store when I bought some shotgun shells (must be 18 to purchase)!! The lady didn't even think I was 18 I guess...she wouldn't even scan them until I showed my ID. I did have on my ballcap though and that makes me look younger.

Do you get regularly carded? Where do you live? How old are you?

brad cook
  2. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I've never tried to buy alcohol. But I do serve it a lot. Since I am only 17, I can usually easily tell who is over 21 and who isn't. I do card people sometimes, but not very often. Those people that I do card usually turn out to be 21 or 22
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My 31 year old son is carded regularly, more often than not. He does look much younger than that. What is funny is that he actually tended bar in his last job, but evidently doesn't look old enough to drink alcoholic beverages.
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I have only purchased beer on several ocasions... I was Never carded yet... And I am only 18. Im no party animal.
  5. 36 years old, carded more than half the time, I look like I'm 20 but feel like I'm 60. :confused:
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't get carded going into clubs much anymore, but my wife still does. The other day a doorman guessed that I was 27 and she was 19 - which is precisely what our ages were 9 years ago when we first met!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never ever.
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Never. I'm 29... I'd be one unlucky 17 year old if I looked like this!
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh btw...this is only for countries that have 18 or 21 yr old drinking laws. Just for you people from Mexico, where laws are just suggestions. ;)

brad cook
  10. I'm 47, but people tell me that I only look 46. :p

Seriously, the only time I get proofed (this is what we call "carded" in New York) is if I go into a club that has a lot of young people inside. I don't know if this is a state policy, but some clubs card EVERYONE that enters, even if you look like you're 70 years old. I guess if they do this, there's no chance of them missing someone, unless of course they have false I.D. I've even seen bouncers ask for a second I.D. if the person looks nervous.

Carded? I should be given a cane to help me walk, a man of my age.

On two separate occasions two different young ladies that I was talking to in bars remarked, "Oh, you're so sweet! You remind me of my dad." :eek:

I don't want to look like someone's dad! :bawl:

Mike :D
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I get carded at club doors sometime, if they have over 24 years only -policy, or if I'm entering with someone young looking in which cases it's the standard habit to check everyone in the group.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is that pretty common in Finland for clubs to have a 24 years and older policy? That's interesting. Why 24? Not that there has to be a reason but I'm just curious if there is a certain reason that it's 24.

brad cook
  13. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    In PA, you have to be carded up to age 27 for tobacco products, 30 for alcohol. Let me re-phrase that, retail stores selling tobacco or alcohol must card up to those ages (if they appear under those ages). I know, appearance is subjective, but when agencies or even in house secret shoppers come in, they are, most of the time really underage, or look young...

I work in a convenience store (no hooch in convenience stores in PA) and it irks me to no end when I have to card someone, and they get all uppity about it. Now, I'm all for smokers rights, but come on, if you're gonna smoke, at least know the laws...
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I usually get carded when I buy alcohol at the store, but not in bars. I think they just don't care. I know I look younger..
  15. I hardly ever get carded...being in such a small town, everyone knows everyone of my coworkers also works at the local liquer store, so I don't even have to tell him my b-date either...
  16. Last time I was carded, I was 26. I'm now almost 29. I'm beginning to grow some white hair, so I guess it helps!

The guitarist and drummer in my band (they are brothers) get carded on a regular basis, and they are 31 and 33 years old. :D
  17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm 13 but I never get carded. Ever.

And I scored way high on the Dirtski-Drink-o-meter :eek:
  18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, it's very much because of marketing. The bars and clubs are "free to choose their own customers", so can choose their own age limits as long as they serve only to 18 and over, and some wish to be known as more classy and/or mature places where you don't have to hang amidst drunken kids.

So some places have k-18 sign at the door and are populated by youngsters, then there are some that cater to bit more sophisticated youth and keep the limit at 20 or 21, and those places that want adults rise their limits higher. To make it even more confusing, some bars drop their age limits on certain nights, for example when there's a band or during weeknights when it's slower.

This can lead to odd situations, like the time I was going to a 'beer restaurant'(a bar serving dozens of foreign and local beers) on a family visit, with my parents and my uncle and his wife, and there was a short talk between the door guy and my uncle if I could come in or not, even if I was dressed maturely and well at the time.

Oh, the portier did let me in after the chat, but we decided that the service wasn't worth our time.
  19. SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    I buy the occasional six-pack and don't get carded.

My wife got carded going into an R-rated movie a few years back (have to be 17, she was probably 29ish). I gave her a hard time about it until I got carded buying a lottery ticket in W.Virginia. I think you have to be 17 or 18 and I was 32 at the time.

Edit: I just got carded this weekend at a Logan's Roadhouse. Their policy is to card anyone who looks 30 and under. I'll be 34 in a couple months.
  20. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'm almost 28 and I get carded just about all the time, for everything. It really gets annoying sometimes.

My 47 year old boyfriend even gets carded sometimes, and he most definitely hasn't looked under 21 in a loooooong time, hah!