1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How often do you go to the cemetery ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 12, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How often do you go to the cemetery to visit your decesed loved ones ? . I live with in walking distance of where my Mom and Grandpa are buried so when the weather is nice I quite often take a walk down for some self reflection time , it is one of the most peaceful locations around so its one of my favorite places to go think and pray.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't go very often. It;s just not a thing I do much.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i only go on holidays or birthdays, annivesary, stuff like that. even though mom died 4 years ago, it still hurts like yesterday.
    our dog died last year on tax day and we had her creamated. i spread half of her with mom and we kept the other half. i will be at the cemetary on saturday, tax day. i dont handle death well.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Once in a while.

Being Jewish we visit my cousin to put up a rock in his honor every year since his death, and then usually go to his family house for a little get together. Sometimes when I think of him a lot for one reason or another I’ll stop by. My uncle is right next to him too.

Those are only two with in driving distance from me, rest are in Russia, I visit them when I go back there once in a few.

It sucks that such great people had to die. No matter how long it has really been, I still miss them.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    For funerals.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I only have one trip there planned.

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I don't have any family buried nearby, so I don't go often. But every Dia De Los Muertos, I go and remember a musician buddy.

Boone was a hard-livin', hard-drinkin' cowboy musician. A *real*, stone-cold cowboy, not just some guy who owns a hat and a pickup. He played guitar, knew a jillion songs, and would write tunes on the spot, by the campfire. He was a great storyteller, too. Our circle of friends spent many nights camping and singing and storytelling with him.

He always encouraged me in my music, and I miss him. He died of cancer, just short of 60.

I go to his grave, sing to him and play the acoustic, tell him what we are up do, pour a shot of Knob Creek or some good tequila on the grave, take a shot myself, and leave a full one at the headstone. He didn't have much family, so someone's got to honor and remember him. Since I live close, I feel like I have it to do.

Cherie

8. I saw the title and knew it'd be a Major Metal thread :p

Anyways, I very rarely visit the cemetary, I'll usually go around Christmas to my Grandmother's grave, when my fammily go, but other than that, I don't go at all. :meh:

Then again, I am an atheist, so I don't really believe in praying, but I'll respect those that want to do it.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I live several states away from where my grandfather was laid to rest and thankfully he's the only dead relative on my mother's side.

Since my father married a white woman (my mom), my parents, me, and my sister were disowned by some of his family. We only have contact with my dad's dad. So even when the others die, I won't be going out of my way to visit their graves :meh:

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Only when I need parts.

:bag:

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    rofl

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Never.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Never. Relatives are too scattered over the country/planet.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not.Very.Often.

My Dad is buried about 5 hours away, near my Mom. When I am home, I have a hard time going there. It's been about 5 years, but I still have a very hard time facing the physical reality of his death. Its such a bleak thing.

I also don't hold much stock in the physical body in the post-life paradigm. Once the intangible is gone, the body is just a leftover...which fights tremendously with my uber sentimental and attachment prone personality.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Not often. It's too crowded. People are just dying to get into that place! :bag:

16. I don't think I've ever been to a cemetery.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You know what is weird, caring a coffin, especially with someone close inside. That really feels weird.

18. Never, I don't feel the need to.

19. Not often enough! There's not one near here, and I have no relatives buried anyplace local anyway. But I really love going to a nice old cemetary once in a while to look at the names and wonder about them.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Place we off-road up in Sierras has relatively old cemetery (for California) near by. Probably class 3 road leading up to it, its interesting to visit that place. Sometimes there is quite few things written about the person.