how often do you hear a new song...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 8, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    whether it's on your car radio, streaming music service, youtube, TV or wherever, how often do you hear a song that's new to you and go "oh, wow! i gotta learn that one!"? it doesn't happen to me that often, but it happens.

last week i heard a song on my car radio. it really grabbed me - i turned it up and was really enjoying it, and just before it ended, i asked google what song it was. it's called "she's kerosene" from a band called "the interrupters". my experience with ska (is it ska) is limited to listening, so i'm not only learning the song but the style. and it's a song that just makes me feel great to hear.

how often does that happen to you - or when's the last song it happened with?

2. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Not very often, but I don’t listen to much radio these days. I do distinctly remember hearing Blue on Black and being blown away, but that was probably 20 some years ago.

A ska tune you say? I’ll have to give it a listen. I do love me some reggae....

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Before a certain local college radio station was taken over and gutted by a money-grubbing administration, I could count on hearing something cool and interesting on a fairly regular basis. That's how I found out about Goldfrapp, Courtney Barnett, and who-knows-how-much electronica and other oddities. The list is too long to recall in detail, but having a good source of new or non-mainstream music is a genuine treat.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I haven't had that happen in more than 25 years.

deernaes, Vooter, kobass and 2 others like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    here ya go

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Last one that was new to me was Royal Blood & I'm still playing this song as my Drop-Tune checker when I acquire instruments:

smogg, J Mon, scuzzy and 12 others like this.
  7. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    I can relate...haven't gotten into many new bands since around Y2K. Everything the radio spews out on mainstream "This is the station the cool kids listen to" radio makes me want to drive into a bridge abutment...

Garret Graves, lat, Vooter and 4 others like this.
  8. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Interesting. Very uptempo and high energy.

I remember the ska craze back in the 80s. The Skatelites, Madness.....

diegom, LBS-bass, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Cool kids do *not* listen to terrestrial radio. :-/

gregouille23, kobass, BOOG and 8 others like this.
  10. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    unfortunately in my market, they play that song every 4 hours on 2 different channels. So its not new anymore!

murphy likes this.
  11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Thanks... I think I'll recommend we play this one... of course since I won't be singing it we won't be playing it. :)

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dig! Ska with no horns done very well. Band looks good. Harmonies are good. Love it.

Bunk McNulty, Tommy V and pcake like this.
  13. The last radio stuff that really caught my ear was Courtney Barnett. Just saw her in Montreal and it was great - she’s the real deal.

14. Don't trust things like Spotify or Pandora... they have different goals. Check out Music-Map - The Tourist Map of Music - I've discovered so much new music through its maps. Be an active explorer, don't wait for passive discovery to happen.

The Rage, GregC, kobass and 6 others like this.
  15. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Rita Mae Young by the Record Company and Wish I knew You by the Revivalists.

16. You just sent me on a trip down memory lane after listening to that. Fun song! I couldn't help but go listen to some of my old Ska favourites after. One thing I never noticed before, however, is how many pick players are in the genre.

pcake likes this.
  17. Oh that's a good resource for sure! I have a hard time finding new music and this could be a big help, thank you!

BOOG likes this.
  18. The record company...this band came across my fb feed one day, I never usually listen to stuff that just pops up but for some reason I clicked on it..their sound blew me away..I was amazed by it, retro sound..and only three guys..The song was "never gonna cry for me"...infectious to me anyway! I dove into their catalog..loved it, didn't really wanna learn it all, but nevertheless, I love this band and wondered how they never came across my radar. Sometimes you get something new..This is not really a new band but new to me..so it happens, just not very often..

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Her performance on SNL was brilliant!

20. To check out new music I gave up on radio a long time ago. I have the Amazon Music app on my phone, so I pick a "station" on there sometimes and just let it run.

Other thing I do is use Bandcamp. There is also a Bandcamp app on my phone. That actually finds very new music, which gets uploaded by the minute.

Surfing youtube works, too, but it's gotten bad with the ads lately.

Last modern song I heard that made me want t learn it? Probably something by the Screaming Females.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021