Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often do you oil your frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I have been reading a few threads lately that have been talking about oiling the fretboard and I was wondering how often do people do it and is it something you have to do every now and then?

I havent oiled my affinity P yet and ive had it since about september last year.

Also, what sort of household product would be good for cleaning the fretboard? I dont want to make any assumptions :p

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I use Pledge wipes about once a decade, sometimes less.

3. Sort of depends on some info from you:

What kind of wood is your fretboard? On my maple board I use gunstock oil - once a year only

On my rosewood board I use lemon oil - perhaps twice a year.

I usually clean my boards with a reasonably good furniture polish.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Gibson Fretboard Conditioner does a fine job for me. I apply it maybe once every 3-4 months - a little more often during cold, dry winters...

MM

5. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Cheers for the replies, I wanted to make sure im not doing any damage by not oiling the fretboard for a long time but obviously not.

I've got a rosewood fretboard,
    so it looks like some lemon oil is the go.

And ill look at getting some good furniture polish too :)

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    This

[​IMG]

goes on every two or three months.

Neck, headstock, body and fretboard.

:D

Joe.

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I use this lemon oil on fretboard, does the job.

[​IMG]

8. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    it may not smell great but Scott's Liquid Gold works wonders for both my strings and especially any rosewood fretboard i've had. make sure to wipe off the residue to avoid any build up of dust, whatever.:hyper: :hyper:

9. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I will probably get that classic wax polish if I can find it anywhere but if not lemon oil or liquid gold should do the job :cool:

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I got mine from Bass NW.

I beleive they ship internationally but if they don't I'm willing to be your go-between.

Fair enough?

:D

Joe.