1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often do you practice your bass? POLL

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NealBass, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Never

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 1 hour a week, or less

42 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2 to 4 hours a week

119 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. 4 to 6 hours a week

146 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. 1 hour a day

154 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. 2 to 4 hours a day

109 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. More than 4 hours a day (yikes!)

8 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I'm not sure what forum to put this in. I did a search and came up with a poll from 2003, so I thought I'd do an update. The poll from 2003 was in the Technique Forum, but to me how often you practice is not really a "Technique"....Hmmm.

Also feel free to chime in letting us know how you practice (teacher/lessons? books? videos? CDs, etc.?) Do you play every day, or take days off? In spurts? When you feel like it, or at the same time every session? Just curious.

I'm in the 2 to 4 hours per day. I do take days off, usually 3 or 4 in a row (like now), then I'm back at it, every day. I play along to Mp3s using my headphones. I don't usually play at any specific time of the day, just when I feel like it.

[EDIT]-Changed first poll selection from 'Never, I walk on stage as a golden God, or Goddess!', to "Never".

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I voted 4-6 hours per week and that is in addition to rehearsals (2x week) and gigs (1-2 times per week). I fit it in as I can and currently the focus is on song structure and ear training. The focus changes when I decide what skills need brushing up or when I need to work on specific skill based on gig requirements.

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  3. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    Not as much as I should (I'm not counting jams and rehearsals)

Bob_Ross and comatosedragon like this.
  4. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I used to rarely practice on my own because I was jamming regularly in practice with multiple bands and gigging 3-5 times a week for many years.

When I stopped gigging (around 2000), I started to practice more regularly, and more scales/exercises.

But, life came up and slapped me in the face. From 2003 or so, I didn't pick up and play any instrument very often at all. I'd make a little stab at it, but there were extended periods between 2003 and last year where I didn't even own a bass.

I got back into it last year, now have a couple of basses and am taking it more seriously than ever. I want my chops back and am lucky that I didn't lose every ounce of skill I ever had.

Work, family and "other duties as assigned" prevent me from playing each and every day (though I try to) but I at least make 4 - 6 hours per week, usually in the dead of night when the house is asleep and my insomnia has kicked in.

I very much hope to start playing with other people again and get back to playing live. I have missed that terribly. Fortunately my wife is also a musician and she is very supportive and encouraging.

odarellmc likes this.
  5. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    Make it a point to play everyday. Even if it's just 1 or 2 songs.

6. Masterbassist30

Masterbassist30

Jan 10, 2015
    1 hour per day of dedicated practice (not counting the random crap I do when I'm bored). :laugh:

7. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Finland
    I used to practise more, but now Its mostly just band rehearsals. If I play home, I like to jam along to mp3s or just on my own. If I'm not happy on my playing, I'll work on it, but dont have patience to practise for hours.

8. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Least amount of time option. I use mental practice, life practice, love practice. What's there to practice, unless you're making new kinds of software?

scales the guy before you played?

9. I'm long since been out of the band business - pinched nerves, and carpal tunnel make it much too hard nowadays, but I play around 5 days a week in front of the TV an average of 4 hours. It's still fun to play. :thumbsup:

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm single, semi-retired, kids are grown, etc. i practice to avoid not practicing.

11. Pelao

Pelao

Dec 7, 2014
    Currently about ~20 hours a week, though my next goal is to bump it up to a consistent 28. It'll probably take several weeks to shift. I can easily hit 4 hours on just technique, not learning any songs.

On a side note, I'm a music teacher for 4-14 year olds, and I ask them to practice between 5-15 minutes every day, and they ALL say they have no time. I ask "are you sure?", and they say they are always too busy. Frankly, I think it is horrible that an 8 year knows about the concept of stress, and says that they are too busy with school work and activities to play for 5 minutes every day. Either they don't see fun time/tv time as practice time, or they are genuinely too busy, which is not a good thought.

Muddslide and theretheyare like this.
  12. Springman

Springman

Mar 4, 2015
    Been practicing a lot, riffs, scales, maybe to much. I was getting to gigs and making dumb mistakes. I decided to start running down our complete song list everyday, one verse/one chorus for each tune. It takes less than a half hour and has made a huge difference, no more raised eye brows on stage. There's nothing worse than practicing your can off and still sucking when it counts!

jmbjandfam, Ed Byrnes and pacojas like this.
  13. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    When we returned from living in China, I asked a former band mate working in Branson for the complete list of songs he was doing in the several shows he was with. I got about 35 songs. I then bought all of those off of ITunes, put them on my computer, and began learning them. After about 3 months I could (and can still) play most without having any music in front of me. By practicing songs that I might someday be playing, the learning was more fun.

14. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It's been a while since I've been in the 2-4 hours a day range. I did several years where I might have played my bass about 5 hours for the entire year. I'm back to practicing every day, but probably not quite an hour average. Work, family, etc...other things just take priority.

15. I practice electric at work throughout the day if things are slow.... Upright I practice at home roughly an hour 5 nights away.

16. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I'm practicing every day, and when I can, I'll do multiple hours working on stuff. But I'm down for at least an hour a day....

17. I pretty much only practice with my bandmates unless I'm learning a new song. I do keep a song list with the key and any "mystery" cords for each song.

We have been playing together for almost 3 years. A month ago we did a 4.5 hour gig (we actually played for over 4 hours!) with only my list for help! To prepare for this gig we did a couple of practices similar to Springman's suggestion: beginning, chorus, verse, ending. Sure, we didn't kill 100% of every song, but a couple musicians in the crowd were pretty amazed we could do that many songs without sheet music.

18. Mostresticator

Mostresticator

Feb 25, 2015
    I spend about an hour or two playing, then the other hour listening to the playback. Always sounds different live and playback.

oaklandthumb likes this.
  19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Just by myself at home, I play 2-4 hours a week. I might go several days without playing just because I'm busy with work or other things. Then I might have a free day and I'll play for a couple of hours.

I don't really practice. I'm more of a "mess around" kind of guy. I play with my pedals and get sounds that I don't use normally use in a band context. If I'm lucky, I stumble upon something I like or come up with a new idea for a song. Or I'll spend some time learning a new song or two from a band I like. I've never enjoyed practicing scales or different types of exercises. I like playing songs or just making weird sounds.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    nogoodwithnames and 000_Unknown like this.
  20. 000_Unknown

000_Unknown

Jan 18, 2014
    Just try to practice more then you play the knuckle shuffle and you'll be fine..