How often do you practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Daily

202 vote(s)
  2. Weekly

12 vote(s)
  3. Only when rehearsing with the band

9 vote(s)
  4. I don't need improvement!

1 vote(s)
  5. I feel it destroys my loose and sloppy style...

4 vote(s)
  6. I quilt

1 vote(s)
  1. This is kind of an old topic for a poll, but these choices were so well worded on another board that I had to share them here :)
  2. Daily, almost hourly in fact. When I'm at home, all I do is play bass. I practice scales just sitting around watching TV, eating, or even while on the throne. :D
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hmmm, we didn't have one of these? Well anyways, nice thread! I practise at least an hour or two every LEAST.
  4. "My whole life" Victor Wooten "it's an ongoing process"
  5. just about daily. Then again.. it's not really practicing.. it's learning new songs for pleasure, but it does help build my ear and everything. :)
  6. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I try to practice at least an hour a day here at school, otherwise, I get bass withdrawl. seriously, I get all nervous and stuff when I go much more than a day without playing. When I am at home, I have been known to play for 6-10 hours a day, since that is pretty much all I do when at home.
  7. I play whenever I feel to do so (that is most often every day if I'm not sick). Sometimes just songs I already know and sometimes to learn new stuff.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Daily, or at least, almost daily ;)

Being in a band certainly helps me focus on what I need to practise from day to day but I'd hate it if I only got the instrument out for rehearsals - I take great pleasure in knowing and playing my part and would feel ashamed if I was just attempting to busk through from week to week.

9. I try to practice daily, but I have an Involved career that includes homework some nights, like all night.

Time to make some choices, cause I'm in a very dedicated and serious band... That part almost seems like work sometimes, mainly cause of the attitudes directed towards it from some other members.

Has anyone here ever taken a "vacation" from their band?
    For artistic developement reasons?
    or any other reasons?

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I practice daily...and lately I've been doing 4-7+ hour long Endurance training...basically that involves playing 32nd notes as fast as I can, keeping it 100% clean, and within a certain scale or progression or groove for about 45 min - 1 hour...then after a short break, moving into the "River people" groove for about an hour(that groove is a great work-out) then after that I do harmonic excercises.

I can say hands hve never been so tired and my fingers have never been so sore...but I feel great!
  11. I recently strained a muscle in my thumb on my left hand so I've been giving it a rest but, typically, I practice for at least an hour or two daily.
  12. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    You mean, you practice the same scale or whatever for that long a period of time? Wow, I can't even practice a scale for 5 minutes before growing bored of that particular scale. I've tried working on it longer. How do you do it, how do you keep your focus, so not to grow bored?

I practice daily. Some days longer than others. I believe in quality over quantity anyway, but I wish I can practice more than I do because lately, at the end of the day, I haven't had a feeling of accomplishment. I know I can do so much more. :|
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word, it's hard for me to just play one scale or mode over and over.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where is the option for Not often enough?
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I'm sure I'm not always 100% on. My philosophy is that, its not that I'm practicing, I'm just running scales, ya know? its like the Waraoni tribe in the amazon basin, they have no word for work, instead their chores are refered to as what they if one of them is chopping wood he's not working he's just "chopping" I excel in the phyrgian mode, my hands and fingers just seem to fall into a phrygian pattern.

I never get bored playing bass....If I do though then I would just take a short pause and run over a groove or something that I really like before going back into it.

but definatly quality practice means more than quantity, at least for the most part. I think if you are trying to improve your stamina and endurance than quantity is important
  16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Stephanie, try starting here (click me). Then, try things like running the scale in thirds, fourths, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths. Play it two octaves, and shift at different places. Play scale fragments. ( 123,234,345; or 1234,2345,3456,) play scale fragments with cross rhythms (3 note fragments in 8th or 16th notes; or 4 note fragments in triplets)

You won't get bored, trust me. :D
  17. I actually use the technique that Pacman just listed when I practice scales. It's a great tool for getting familiar with the fretboard in different keys and definitely works those muscles. ;)

One thing about scales- I think their great for what they are and are a really great tool but, like Stephanie said, I can't see myself practicing one scale for more than five minutes. I feel like I'm treading water after a couple minutes. Now practicing all the scales and modes is a different story.

For me, practicing scales is only one aspect of becoming a good bass player. At one point, early in my development, I spent most of my time practicing scales and, after awhile, I realized that it started to show in my playing. I was able to utilize the notes but became very limited rhythmically speaking. It took a long time to undo this habit.

I guess my point is- there's a lot of different things you can be doing, when you practice, to become a better bass player. Don't lock yourself into one aspect because it may be hard to get back out.:)
  18. Cool scale excercises, Pac! Thanks for sharing...I printed those up to keep around.
  19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No problem, Slap, that's what I'm here for :)

I left out a few. You can do scale fragments "in reverse" (321, 234,543,456; or 4321, 2345,6543,4567, etc) or decending (321,432,543,654 or 4321,5432,6543 etc). All of these exercizes can be done in groupings of an many notes as you want, though I guess 7 is the most that is practical....
  20. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    I usually practice everytime im online and that's everyday and sometimes i break out with my small 15 watt amp and sit infront of the tv and just play bass.

Then maybe about 4 times a week i play bass with my band, weekends aren't any differen't.

My 3 fingers on my left and right hand are pretty rock solid already and i've only been playing since the end of august. :cool: