Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often does your GK1001 fan kick on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unatratnag, Jan 30, 2006.

1. So, I noticed when I change the volume with my preamp knob that it will futz and make static noises. I think there might be a short somehow since it only happens with that knob.

Second the other day I started to smell a funny smell from the amp and noticed the fan wasn't going on and it seemed moderately warm.

Since then, I've used it for by myself practices and at low volumes and at moderately louder volumes (middle on first volume, middle on master, no boost) but the fan never seems to kick on. I can't seem to recall if the fan on these goes on often or not (or if only at loud volumes or prolonged periods of usage).

How often does your fan come on? Loud volumes only? Long time usage?

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My 1001RB-II fan kicks on and off during moderate use. No smells or odd noises. Sounds like your head has issues. (your amp head)

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, get that to a tech. Mine doesn't kick on a lot, but then I don't use it at high volume much. The more demand, the more heat, and the more it will kick on. Mine kicks on when it doesn't even really feel that warm to me, but it never has messed up on me.

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    What he said :D

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Get it to a tech right away. That head shouldn't get very warm and the fan should kick in when it does.

The crackling noises are probably just a dirty control pot on the preamp volume. That happens to a lot of amps with time. It's an easy fix-just a spray of contact cleaner. Get that done at the same time.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Mine gets slightly warm on the bottom at very low volume levels. The fan kicks on every time I use it. It definitely has a funky new amp smell (just got it). At least I hope thats what the smell is!