1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How often should I change my strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jan 7, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So I recently got a bass. Here's the problem, though, I've been playing it for 3-3 1/2 weeks now, and it still sounds fine, but we bought it about a month or longer before i was allowed to have it (present for the holidays), and was out on display at guitar center with the same strings for who knows how long. My question; do you think it is a good idea for me to change the strings soon, or do you think they will last pretty long? This is my first bass, and i haven't heard amazing things about factory strings.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    how long do you want to keep them. some guys never change strings some change them every week. its your choice.

3. I change them when they dnt sound sinky anymore.
    About 2 months.

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Whenever you want to.

5. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    If you like how they sound then leave them, for me it's about 6 months ( around 300 - 350 hours ) before they start to sound crap and need replacing.

6. your supposed to change them?

7. Depends on where you live (humidity) how often you play, what kind of stings you play (coated or uncoated) all these factor into string life.

8. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    They should last a long time. My main player (a '99 jazz) still has the factory (Fender) strings on it.

I'll probably replace them if/when they break.

9. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Its completely up to you, like others have said. One thing to consider though is changing strings to try something different. Even without knowing what kind of strings are on it, I can say that there are many other options to give you a different sound. It probably came stock with some sort of roundwound strings, and flatwounds can give a more vintage sound, or stainless steel roundwounds can make it even brighter and punchier. Hit up youtube or google for some string comparisons, and see if anything sounds like it would be better for you than what you've got on right now.

As for changing them, whenever. I have a habit of keeping strings on for ages, upwards of three years at one point, and those were stainless rounds. They were completely dead by the time I changed them. But with flatwounds its actually typical to leave them on for a long time, because the sounds doesn't change much over the course of their lifespan.

Also, what kind of bass did you get? I'm just curious. And good luck learning to play. Its definitely the best instrument in the band! :D

10. I normally change mine every 6months. Toured in India and my strings went CRAZY because o the humidity and huuuge rise in temperatures.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Change them when theyve lost tone. As in when they no longer have any zing or start to sound dull compared to new strings.

12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Use flats. Never change them. THE END.

13. pengyou40

pengyou40

Dec 2, 2010
    Yea, it always seems like somewhere between 3 and 6 months that I think about changing mine.

14. rogerb

rogerb

Aug 31, 2010
    I've had my bass a year. I want to change, but I'm not sure now. Today for example the 1 year old strings sounded and felt exceptional, after playing for a few hours mind you.

I remember not liking the strings for the first few months. I just stringed up a fretless and that seems better after a month or so too. They seem to even out, and lose that zingyness (I guess that is what it is), but I like them better without it.

Depends on your style and the sound you are looking for I guess. Roundwounds I'm talkin' here.

15. I change them only if one breaks or rusts.

16. Some studio cats change them weekly.

James Jamerson reportedly never changed his.

It's purely a matter of personal taste and needs.

17. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Absolutely coyote...

I change my guitar strings every July and my basses every leap year...

To me they just start sounding good after about a year...

18. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks! I'm still sorta finding my style, but I'm really into Red Hot Chili Peppers, so Flea is a big inspiration, love that kind of sound. My bass was a cheap "Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special" with a 35watt Ampeg amp (found one cheap) :p It's sunburst, and I love how it plays (though, then again, its the first ass i've played :p). I think i'll wait for a bit, but what you said makes me sorta want to change to flatwounds :D

19. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I've heard great things about the Squier VM Jaguar, congrats. That should be a great bass to start with.

Flea has a signature set of strings from GHS, you might want to check those out, and GHS also has the Precision Flats, which get a lot of appreciation on here. That's actually what I'm about to put on my P bass, going for a more James Jamerson type tone.

20. This guy used new strings for each show!

the-who-john-entwistle-french-horn-1966.

Not that I am recommending this.