Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often should I restring my bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dirtjumper2001, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I was just wandering, how often should I restring my bass? And while I'm at it, anything else I should do to keep it all sounding sweet, e.g. clean the neck, etc?
    Cheers

2. Depends, some people NEVER change the strings cos they like the mellow sound they get. Some people change them when one of the strings breaks, others to it regularly because they like the springy sound. If you think they sound good keep em on, if you like the sound of new ones change em regularly.

sim

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Whenever you want the sound of new strings. Or when they break, whichever comes first.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i change mine every month or so... if money wasn't a problem i'd probably do it every 2 weeks... i like the sound of new strings.... some things you can do to make them last longer... always wash your hands before you play.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What falsehoodbass said. In addition: my hands sweat a lot when performing so I try to wipe my strings and fretboard down after every set. I also try to wash my hands before every set.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    No rules on string-changing. I have come to love old flats. I don't wash my hands before, and don't usually wipe them down after, and I leave them on for years. But I like that sound; you might hate it. I go for a more upright-like tone, and flats can't be beat for that.

I also like not going with the crowd.

(Think about tapewounds, too. A little brighter than flats, and cheap.)

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Another thing make sure your bridge is soft for the strings! You will notice that alot of cheaper basses have strings break more often! When i first started playing about 20 years ago i found that my strings would break withen a month or so! But i was playing a old bently and cheapo fender bass! But when ever i bought my warwick and high end fender they stay on till i change them! SAme with my 67 fender jazz! So next time you change the strings try to feel the area were your strings rub!