how often should strings be changed?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jphase88, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    sorry i dunno where to post this but i was wondering how long u should keep strings on ur bass. cuz i really dunnt know when to change strings and i've had mine on for about 5 months and i was wondering when i should change strings after i put new ones on.
  2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Depends on what you're playing...... I have a bass which is my main slap bass. I change them often ( depending on how many gigs I've played ). Usually within 3 weeks to a month. Because I like the fresh string sound on that bass - and it's much easier to slap with new strings because they respond better. By the way it's a Fender jazz-type custom built 4-String.

With my Stingray 5 it's pretty much the same - just about 4 to 6 weeks.

Those two are my main basses for gigs.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When they break. My Spector's strings are over year old, and the Ibanez are about 2, maybe 3 years old.
  4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    When you don't like how they sound anymore. Some strings are incredibly bright when they're brand new... and some guys love that sound. After awhile, they get dull and thuddy - and some dudes like that sound too... so it's really up to you.

I agree that changing them when they break would be good too :D
  5. Due to the fact that I gig with my band every weekend, I change the strings on my basses every month.
  6. When I was on the road with VICIOUS RUMORS playing 5 to 6 nights a week, I would have to change them after every show. They would get destroyed after a 90 minute set with all of the sweat and hot lights, running around, etc. Good thing that I had a D'Addario string endorsement, I would never have been able to pay for all those sets!
    If I was at band practice just standing around, I would change them every 2-3 weeks. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  7. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Round or Flatwound makes a differance too, the bass I'm buying right now has strings on it that could be 5 or more years old, they flatten out at every fret, but there sound is amazing...they are flatwound and it adds a lot of the low thump you expect. Rounds don't die as well to my ears, of course if you listen to My Girl in the beginning when its jut bass it sounds kinda ugly, but it blends so well in the mix. Jamerson was known for keeping his strings on as long as possible, I think I even read if one broke that would be the only one he would change.
  8. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    at the last show of theirs that i saw, the bassist of my old band told me he hasnt changed his strings in 6 years :cool:
  9. When to Change Strings

Most players change strings when they lose their brilliance, sound too mellow, when intonation goes off, or when their instrument is difficult to keep in tune. That could be once a week or once every three months depending on how many hours playing you do and what your skin chemistry is like. Keeping your strings clean will certainly extend their life.

(Changing one string after it breaks is not recommended, as the newer string will definitely sound different from the rest.)

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

my old bass had string that were like maybe 8 years old(it was my brothers beofre mine). they never broke, i finaly changed them, used them for a few months, then sold the bass.
  11. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i boiled my strings last night, sound brand new...considering ive had them for 2 years before today, i'd say, change them every 10 years :smug:
  12. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I never change my strings. Unless one breaks. All the sweat, beer, blood, ash and what-not is the secret to my ragin tone. New strings generally sound to bright to me. Plus, I play with a lot of vibrato. Old strings seem to bend around better.