1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How often to change Elixirs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Dec 8, 2006.

1. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I've been running the factory set of Nanowebs on my bass for about a year, and while I haven't noticed a drastic change in tone, my experience with these strings on my guitar tends to be that they "creep" into deadness so slow that it can barely be noticed until I put on a new set and realize how much better the new strings sound. A year is a hell of a long time, and I'm wondering if the same thing could be happening to me without my realization.

So, on average how long do your Elixirs last, and should I change them, given that I average an hour to an hour and a half playing each day and the current set has been on for about a year?

2. I have Elixers on all of my basses...G&L L-2000 Tribute, USA California P-Bass Special, and a MIM P-Bass Special. I have not changed the strings on them in almost a year. I'm still getting the tone and fat bottom sound that I love. In about 6 months I'll change them out, not because of tone, but the coating is starting to shred. I do like Elixer strings, they just keep on thumping. :D :D

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    It really depends what kind of tone you like ,
    I know blues guys that like their elixirs after 2 years (of playing and eating chicken)
    I change every week.

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, when they start looking like they have psoriasis, it's perhaps time to swap 'em out.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    My last set of Elixirs is on my Tobias right now, they've been there for a year and a half. The B-string is pretty much dead, but the G and D are zingier than my 2 week old DRs on two other basses.

Anyhow, I had used Elixirs for so many years that I forgot how quickly other strings die! I think I'm going back to them next round. :smug:

6. I'd say a year is a good interval to change your Elixirs.
    If the tone isn't bothering you, and they're not shedding yet, why change them at all?

Mike

7. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    I love Elixir's, they're the best strings I've used to date (I would like to try some DR's though, just to see).

I have noticed that on my 5 string I change them more regularly than on a 4 string because of the low B (every couple of months).

8. ouch, feel free to send your "old strings" across the channel :D

9. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    i put on my last set of elixers in April and they're just starting to die. and i kill strings faster than anybody i've ever seen. uncoated strings last me maybe 2 days.

10. for me uncoated strings take a few days to break in :D

11. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    yeah, but i play 4-6 hours a day :bassist:

12. i mean what you call dead is what i call broken in :)

13. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    I've had great results using Nanowebs on my basses. I've had a set on my P-bass for 2 full years, and the E string is pretty dead, so I'll change them soon. I've played close to 10 shows with the elixirs on my jazz bass, and I tend to sweat alot during our long sets, and they still sound great.