Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How often...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Nov 2, 2004.

1. How often do you guys change strings? The ones that are on my Spector are at least 2 years old.

2. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    I have been alternating between Blue Steel's and Boomers for the past couple years. Generally, I'd say I wind up changing my strings every 2-3 months, but it really depends on a) how many shows I play within that time and b) whether or not I am doing something like recording, which I'd want newer strings for. Next time out I'm definitely gonna pick up either some Elixirs or DL's and give them a spin.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Mine are dull after 2 months, dead at 9 months. I usually change them about then.

When I say dead, I'm not kidding. I pull them off and they're inconsistantly limp and greyed out looking.

4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I'm lucky I found DR's. I slap a lot and I need zingy strings. I used to have to change them every couple of weeks, but with the DR's, I've had the same set on for a little over a month and once I play them for about 5-10 minutes and get the oil from my hands all over them, they sound close to brand new. I'll say this, though. I didn't believe DR when they said that their strings lasted longer, but now, after only buying one set, I'm a full believer!

If I do have to change my strings, I try to do it before I play a show so I can get maximum zingy-ness.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I used to change 'em every three weeks, until I found Elixer Nanowebs. These things just don't die. Definately worth the hefty price tag! :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I routinely change my Hi Beams and Fat Beams between 2-4 months, usually 2-3 but sometimes 4 months.... All depends on how much I play the particular bass.

7. due to financial reasons ive changed strings once in the last 12 months....from whatever set came with it to a set of roto's...which suck major ass and die in about 7 days..i boil them every saturday arvo/night....as soon as i can afford them im getting a set of either dr bootzillas or dean markley blue steels

8. Yah, I haven't been able to afford a new set since January when I last went into the studio. Ideally, I like to change them every 3-4 months or before doing any recording.

9. I change my Firewire strings about 2 to 3 months, they seem to outlast the Elixir , DR etc etc.

Question is what to do with the mountain of slightly dead bass strings, must have loads and loads just sitting around.

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I despise zingy strings. My nickel loriders stay on for months.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I changed the strings on my Hamer in Sept 2002. My fretted 5 just got a fresh set but that is because I put it's set (from May 2003) on my Destroyer in March 2004 while I was testing some other strings. My newest bass (7 months old) has the set they came with :smug:

12. between 4 and 6 months when they get super dead and kinda gray looking. Actually it's about time for me to change my strings...they are kinda blah sounding.
    Yay for backup basses.

13. after reading these posts. i'm inclined to believe its time for some new strings!

14. Gray-looking? Heck, you're supposed to wait until they're black and shed little black dust before changing them.

Actually I wear out my strings in about 2-3 days usually. Now I've decided to only use Elixirs because they last months instead of days for me.

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Not nearly often enough ( :scowl: ) although with a recent binge on discontinued Prisms, a free set of new ProSteels from D'addario, a return to XL Nickels for a soon-to-be-fretless, and the implimentation of the denatured alcohol "tube bath" I'll have enough to keep me in new-string "zing!" goodness for a while now. :D

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Every couple months usually, but it depends on how many basses Im using with my current band. If Im using one bass I might change once a month, if Im using two or three I can go longer since each bass gets less wear.

17. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I like to change my strings......BEFORE THEY START SNAPPING!! Which seems to be right around the 6 to 8 week mark, depending on gigging.

Like FUNK said, I'm really diggin on the DR's :) I use the tapered core 5 string sets and they seem like they stay brighter longer and as long as you wipe em down before and after each use they stay clean too.

wax :bassist:

18. When they sound dead and crap. So thats quarterly for me.

19. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Every 4 months or untill I cant stand the cardboard sound it makes.