how often

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Apr 15, 2001.

1. i'm sure this has been covered a bijillion times, but how often do you guys or do you think i, should change strings? i play for about an hour a day, and three hours wednesdays, and then whenever i fit in a jam, a couple hours once or twice a week. anyways right now i'm using some Ernie Ball Slinky's, i have a five string and i've only changed my strings once since i got the (new)bass for christmas and it seemed the ernie's really died down quickly...

anyways so if you can give advice on anything here then thanks, i'm not sure if any of this makes sesne even cause i'm real tired!!
  2. If they are starting to sound dead, change 'em. You might want to try Ken Smith's 5er set. They are fairly inexpensive and last a good while. I use 'em, I like 'em. But that's just me.

I did used to have a fretless Ric 4001 that I used to keep dead strings on, it sounded great! I used to record it straight into the board and it was so "woody" sounding.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree with fretless5. When you don't like their sound anymore, get new. Rotosound 66's last me about a month or a little less (I guess I'm not too acidic), most everything else I've tried is good for a couple of months at least.