1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How old are Chromes?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beyondat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I hear people say that chromes are more of a modern sounding flatwound string but then I hear some say that they have been using chrome strings for 30 years! I didn't know they have been out for so long.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't think Chromes have been around that long. They are a fairly modern string design. I also don't think anyone has said they've used Chromes for 30 years. Perhaps they said they've played for thirty years, or that they've used flats for thirty years.

All I could find was some info posted on the web in 2006 that D'Addario expanded their string line with the addition of different gauge Chromes that people had been using for a few years. So I'm guessing perhaps Chromes came out around 2000 or a bit later?

Just a guess. Someone here been using them longer, or knows for sure when they started making Chromes? You could always e-mail D'Addario and find out for sure.

3. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Well not 30 years but this guy says he has been playing them for 17 years. I had no idea they were that old.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'll know for sure when I get a reply from D'Addario.

5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I bought a set in the early 90s for sure.

6. Yeah, my first set I used was for a fretless 5 string about 97 or 98.

7. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    Chromes shipped on my Kydd Carry On in 97, and Bruce had been using them for at least two years prior to that.
    I'm only on my 2nd set currently.