How Old Are Your Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by powermans, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Gentleman,
    How often do you change YOUR strings?

Also, Who has taken off a 12month or OLDER set of strings and then BOILED the suckers up with a pinch of salt and then re-stringed the bass with the same strings????
    Used to do that with the electric bass strings when I was younger lad! Suprise... They didn't sound bad after the event.Stands to reason when you see the colour of the water after the boiling treatment! Just thought I'd throw this one into the ring as the current price for a set of Thomastik's for my DB here in Australia run at just under $400.00!

Any Thoughts ?

Regards ,

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I have 12 month BOILED strings on it right now (didn't know about the salt thing:)) and if strings were $400.00 here, well, bailing wire is about $35 a roll.......
  3. My personal experience has been that the boiling effect lasts about one day, may be half.
    String life varies wildly here, depending on who's playing (and practicing) what. Obligatos die first, 4 to 8 months. Spirocores can go years.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My Spirocores are about 2 years old, have never been boiled, and are still going strong.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I get 3-4 months out of Thomstiks. Current Obli's are a couple of months old. Slab strings can be gone in one night.
  6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I change my guts when I break them. Every 8 months, and always during high tide, with a low pressure moving in.
    400 bucks seems pretty friggin' steep for Thomtiks. Is the Australian dollar not doing well?
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If you ever play my bass I'll send you a bill for strings, you big SECRETOR.
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The way I figure it, there are only so many good notes in a set of strings and I wring 'em out of there faster than the average guy :)
  9. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'm on my 8th month of the Oliv / Eudoxa set. I think I'll make it around 10-12 months.

Hey BASS_PLAYERS, how's the scene in Ada;)
    I bought a really great german bow from a guy who makes them in Coalgate, just up Hwy 3 from you.

10. Thanks to ALL for the comments on String Life.

I jumped in at the deep end and since my thread have boiled up the set of "Corelli's with a teaspoon of Salt and replaced them.... I noted a MUCH cleaner and bright sound straight away.After drying the strings I hit the strings with Blitz Cloth prior to restringing. Early days yet , they may die a quick and painful death over the next few days.
    Have to wait and see!

Regarding Lloyd and our Aussie Dollar.Yes it R/S,every Aussie dollar exchanged we get about 51 cents US.
    PS :- It's good coming from YOUR end to here! You're Laughing,but lousy from Here to You!

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I have a Thomastik Weich set on right now that must be almost two years old. They are spectacular; must have been a good day at the string plant. They sound perfectly balanced, and the arco sound is wonderful. They'll stay on for as long as they can keep it up. Nick..."I change my guts when I break them"...had me rolling on the floor. That's a feeling I can relate to.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Man, you must be one BUSY Slabber. :)
  13. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    If I had to pay four beans for thomastiks I think I'd be saving the boiled string water and using it for broth.
  14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    When you're bad, you're bad.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    coalgate aint that far.... what is that guys name?

Fry them!

Or try soaking them in denatured alcohol. It works better and won't break your strings.
  17. My strings are about 8 months old or so. My E string is poo but the rest are just dandy.
  18. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Tom Owen. I've had guys get physically ill when they like my bow better than the one they bought costing much more than his $750.;) Nice cat, too. He'll let you demo one for free. I don't dig the hair he puts on; almost everyone I know who has bought one has got new hair soon. It apparently is good hair for violin, but not cello or bass bows.

19. dblbassmike

Apr 14, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    My D'addario's are going strong! about 10 months. And I play a lot! I just keep the strings clean. :)
  20. xianbei

Dec 4, 2002
    Let's see... My strings are 1... 2... ... ... . 5 years old. I spend all my money on Thomastik Jazz's for my electric, and the Thomastiks on the upright develop a nice muddy sound with aging. I'll have to take them off now, my bridge just let go on me last night, but I'll put 'em right back on for another 2... 3 years.

Why fix what isn't broke? Old strings thump jazz like young ones can only look forward to.