1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How old before "vintage" sticks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrookie, Apr 23, 2010.

1. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Just noticed a couple of thread re: vintage gear and I realized I don't know what that means.

Quick search revealed little to define it. 20 years? 30?

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Vintage is pre 1980 technically.

But, "Vintage" for radios is techincally pre 1950 or so.

3. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    It appears to be 20 years. Yikes.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i always thought of it as at least 20 years, but somehow a 1990 doesn't seem vintage at to me. (nor does 1980). i guess that i'm just getting old. :crying:

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd say 25 years something is considered Vintage...but that's just my idea

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    its funny how when i bought my '55 telecaster in 1975 i though that it was so old back then. and now, something that's only 20 years old seems new to me.

7. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    To me, Vintage is a term that a lot of people don't seem to understand, and they just apply it to anything 25+ years old.

Vintage is really supposed to describe something that is both old and good. Something that has survived various trends over the decades since it was made and is considered very desirable...

Sometimes old just means old.

For example:
    1970 Dodge Charger: Vintage
    1970 Ford Maverick: Not vintage

I may just be talking out my ass, though. Like anything else, I'm sure this is a very subjective term.

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    You very well may be talking out of your ass but what you are saying is correct! :D

9. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    pft. 2 years.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I disagree, at this point you are being subjective about labeling something vintage just because you don't like it. Personally I like using 25 years old as a benchmark, but I don't know if that's official. Something can be vintage and in your (or anyone else's) opinion crap.

11. I used to collect vintage guitars back in the 90's and vintage was 20 yrs old or more.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Mmmhh. Vintage isn't a technical term in any way regardless of how you look at it. I can't think of a proper way to link it to years.
    It comes straight from oenology and means old AND especially sought after.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

Why would two different cars from the same era not both be considered vintage? Because one is not as collectible or valuable as the other? no way :rollno:

14. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    My labeling a Maverick "not vintage" doesn't come from opinion - it's fact. It's widely known as one of the worst cars Ford ever produced, therefore it is not collectible, desirable, or (ahem) vintage. It's what you call "Old".

PS: I love Ford Mavericks!

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Officially is it 20 or 25 years before something is an antique or vintage? Not sure.

For me 1979 and older to me is vintage, 1980-present isn't. Just IMO...

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I like to think pre-80, because I have a hard time of thinking of stuff from the 80s as vintage, but I'd agree that pegging it to a year requirement is probably the best way to characterize it technically, so 25+ years.

17. so am i vintage at 20 now! :D :p

18. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    See Jazz Ad's post above.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I see...so my 60's Bradford guitar is just plain OLD...:crying:

20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Check out what Wiki says about the tern "Vintage":

Vintage, in wine-making, is the process of picking grapes and creating the finished product. A vintage wine is one made from grapes that were all, or primarily, grown and harvested in a single specified year. In certain wines, it can denote quality, as in Port wine, where Port houses make and declare vintage Port in their best years.

From this tradition, a common, though incorrect, usage applies the term to any wine that is perceived to be particularly old or of a particularly high quality.

NOTE: Common, though incorrect useage of the term. Vintage means "of the year" or "of the same time". It's kinda useless, sloppy shorthand without saying "Vintage (of what year/ period).