1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How old is the youngest alcoholic you know?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 1, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

How old is the youngest alcoholic you know? For me, its a guy I know who is 27. Sadly, I think the issue of Alcoholism is under addressed in 20's age range. It seems to be simply shrugged off as just a phase in growing up.

2. One of my college friends was an alcoholic at 21. My friends and I called his parents and put him on a plane home. After many years I was finally able to make contact with him about a year ago, but he died a few months later.

Another one of my friends became a serious alcoholic at about age 26 in 1990 or so after his wife left him. He's been avoiding everybody for years and has made it clear to us all that he doesn't want help.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

4. Thanks, Kevin. It was very sad. He really seemed to be doing well.

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I agree. I'm almost 20 and last night I got absolutely trashed. Idk why I like it

6. probably 16, unfortunately.

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    too young

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I know a few guys between 19 and 23 who are borderline alcoholics. There's definitely a lot of arrogance in people around my age who think drinking is just something you do at this point in your life and that you can't/won't become an alcoholic from it.

9. Getting drunk ≠ Alcoholism. Two very different things.

Can't say I know any alcoholics myself. I hear that there are plenty at my school though.

10. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Much too young. When I was 13 one of my same aged friends was. His dad was really abusive, I think he figured if he was going to get beat he might've well been drunk during it. Other than that extreme case, I know plenty of sub-30 year-olds with all sorts of backgrounds. Not just getting drunk, but in a constant state of consumption to function.

11. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    Like above my friend became an alcoholic at thirteen after getting a chick pregnant now he's married without a job nor the will for one and living in her parents house though I;ve heard he dropped his drinking a bit he was up to a liter of vodka and molsen XXX a night, but I have seen him drink a 1/2 gallon in a night.

Technically speaking I'm an alcoholic what with my 3-4 days a week. Going to cut it down this year getting to old for it.

12. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Alcoholism is actually pretty hard to define. Technically by some standards if you drink more then 3 drinks more then twice a week your an alcoholic. I strongly believe that drug and alcohol abuse are symptoms. Also if you are an *******/do stupid things when intoxicated it's YOU, not the intoxicant. But back to the OP, youngest was probably 19.

13. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've gone to a few AA meetings where there have been a few young folks in the 18-25 year old range here and there, who've hit the skids full throttle in terms of serious alcohol and drug addiction.

14. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Where did you get your information?

Alcoholism has a definition in the DSM IV.
    Consistent drinking which disrupts (or destroys) any major area of life integration (i.e. social, familial, economic, scholastic, physical/heath, legal, etc). It has NO borders on how many drinks or when an individual drinks. It is the resultant phenomenon that is indicative. The time element "consistent" means at which time alcohol is consumed; it may be weeks or whatever in between bouts of self-destructive behaviour.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He was 17 thirty years ago.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

He's 12, currently in rehab after trying to suicide himself.
    All this because his mother is an idiot. Amongst other stupid actions, she used to slip vodka in his orange juice so he'd sleep while she was going out.

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    In retrospect, I knew several teenage alcoholics. Some survived, some still drink, and some died. It being the 70s and all, drinking was not considered as serious an addiction as some other substances. Alcoholism was something old people had.

18. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    People do this all the time with or without alcohol. Like I said. A symptom of the real issue. The person.

19. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    So by the definition you go by, your not an alcoholic if you can hold everything toghether?

20. My exwife was an addict at age 14, got clean at 20. She was a disaster. Still is, even with 16 years clean. Like Sandman said for some people, drugs and alcohol aren't their only problem.