1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Old is to Old

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassin4God, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    Just sitting here thinking so hear is my question. I’m 56 almost 57 and I play gospel. I’m wanting to either start a band or join one. How old is to old? Just want to hear some thoughts and opinions.

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Dead is too old.

3. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    64, 3 groups , each play every week. Keeping me young playing this much, I agree , 6 feet under is when I'll be to old, or nutso

Reggiep, richwag, iceboxbass and 28 others like this.
  4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    As long as you wake up on the right side of the dirt, you’re not too old! I’m heading to 66 this summer and am working 4 gigs this week with four different bands. Getting ready to see about staring a rockabilly band and do subs all the time. Keeps me young.

5. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I’m 66. Our guitar player is 67 and our drummer is 64. We do 4 hour gigs with two 15 minute breaks, and usually start early and play late.

We show the young bands how it’s done.

6. 68 going on 69. Had a very busy year last year; lots of festivals, wineries, restaurant/bar gigs. Rest of the band in their 40's and 50's. Taking a short break and will start up again soon.

Go for it!

iceboxbass, AlanM, ed morgan and 13 others like this.
  7. You are never too old if your playing is up to snuff and the gear gets loaded in/out somehow.

That said, it seems rare to see a big divide in ages in bands. The 50+ and 30- groups dont play nicely?

AlanM, gebass6, StyleOverShow and 6 others like this.
  8. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    64. Four bands, festivals both national & international, and everything in between. So long as ya ain’t doggin’ it... and thank the tech gods for class d amps and neodymium speakers. And 6lb Jerry Jones basses. Playing a show next week, learning 40 country songs I never heard, one rehearsal and then four hours starting at 11pm on a Friday. Woo hoo!!

9. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    True, but it has been a great career move for some acts.

Wisebass, czee, Ayce and 17 others like this.
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    ^^^^^^^^x1000

richwag, dan1952 and Holdsg like this.
  11. eb3mike

eb3mike

Nov 5, 2010
    67 here and 50 gigs on the books through September.

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    At only 56 you may not be old enough. I'd wait until I was 60 if I was you.

LilyT, oldrocker, czee and 17 others like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

As Lemmy said, he figured he’d retire when they finally carried his body off a stage somewhere.

ENG4, SteveBass5, pcake and 4 others like this.
  14. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    54, in two bands. One cover band, Elvis, Tom Petty, Smithereens. One is an original death metal band called AdvorsA.

pcake, BillMason, equill and 5 others like this.
  15. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    If you can play the bass, its never old, however playing the bass makes you feel younger i guess.

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Didn't Jagger once say that he'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction at 45? (or words to that effect)

You're not old, until you decide you're old.

iceboxbass, AlanM, Ayce and 3 others like this.
  17. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    You’re too old when you can no longer distinguish between the word to and the word too.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    He said that about turning 30. Which seems really silly at this point.

JC Nelson, pcake and BillMason like this.
  19. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    66, two groups. One country/classic rock plays three times per month (for pay). The other is very new, a bluegrass/Americana which none of the others has ever been in any kind of band.

It gets more fun as you get older.

20. I jammed with a 80 year old drummer last month. He would smoke any 21 year old. Hit hard and no issue going 4 hours. A former Berkeley Grad from the 70's.