Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How old is too old to rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scourge, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I'm being serious here. I don't mean too old to listen to rock (I plan on being buried with my hand forming devil horns), but too old to be taken seriously playing hard rock/metal.
    I'm currently in a band that plays melodic hard rock. I really like the music we play (originals), but the vocalist/guitarist is 49 (I'm 37, but look MUCH younger ;) ).
    I think our music is pretty accessible, but our stage presence is not.

What do you think?

BTW, our website with audio clips is at:http://www.lennmarellamusic.com/triad/index.htm

The pictures are not up to date, so most of them feature our old bassist.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Stay in shape and look like you can kick any punk kid's ass and you can rock til you drop.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the Rolling Stones make that question a moot point.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Dead is the only age that's too old to rock!!!!

The only thing that affects some people's ability to keep rocking is the fans. There are MANY big name acts that have continued to rock into their old age, both as their original group or alone, Stones, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Roy Orbison, BB King. And those are just the popular ones I can think of off the top of my head that are still big time headliners. There are many others who continue to carry the torch at smaller clubs and such and there is no reason for those of us who have never done mega-headlining tours can't keep rocking on, you just may not have too many fans willing to go on the ride with you. The kids won't take you seriously for the most part, and your age group slowly gets whittled away by other priorities, kids (grandkids!!) other hobbies and such.

5. All of the bands mentioned got popular when they were young and, for the most part, stay popular by playing their older hits.

Who are the oldest musicians you can think of that broke into rock music?

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Pat Boone?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Please don't do that to us again!

Fortunately, I think this age discrimination thing is getting better to the point that it doesn't matter anymore to anyone except 12 year old girls.

8. I definitely DID NOT know what I was getting into by opening this thread.
    Yikes

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I promise that to be the last time I post that pic. It's beginning to get even me sick. I have a lot of thoughts about the whole too old to rock thing, but i've got the old too tired to think thing going on right now. I'll probably rant a little tomorrow.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry - I had to retract that post. The pic is really, REALLY starting to get to me.

You're never too old to rock. Just trust me on that one. :) Joe needs sleep. 2 hours sleep last night, the first day back to work, rehearsal, and my brain starts misfiring. See yas.

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Yeah, I see the Stones are going on tour again at well past 60, so a whole lot of people must still be taking them seriously. They're not gonna be laughed off the stage for a while yet. In coming years, geriatrics will be forming rock bands in nursing homes, as the baby boomers grow old.

I saw Sleepy John Estes live when I was 14. He must have been like 80+ and looked like a brown skeleton wearing big shades and a big brown suit and hat. They led him to a chair onstage, where he slowly sat down with his guitar and proceeded to rock.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Please.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What does that matter? Can't you just play for fun and profit? Being famous is less a function of talent as it is having a couple million dollars to pay off DJ's and programming consultants.

14. Jerry Lee Lewis is still rockin and hes older than god.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lotsa good answers in this thread. I'm 57 and still play a little AC/DC and Led Zep.

16. I think the guy's in Garbage are in their late 30's early 40's. Yeah they are fronted by a young girl, but they rock. Gonna see 'em next weds. and I know they will rock my sox off.

Me I'm 46, play in three bands and plan on doing it until I drop dead on stage. Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. I get kid's half my age telling me I rock the house all the time.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm playing in a band with a bunch of young guys (21,25) and I'm 39.

18. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Dead. Maybe.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Your too old when you think you are.

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: