How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacume, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Im buying an amp thats about 15 years old, its sounds good to me but would an amp that old die out on me or will it run into problems in the future? I realize this is a general question but I just need to know if i should be concerned of how old an amp is
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Nope. Look around your local bar scene, and you're bound to see tons of old Peaveys that have been to hell and back and still work great.

My main head is over 30 years old. I guess you might have to be prepared to eat some routine maintainence fees on it, but really, a decently-designed amp should last just shy of forever.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it really depends on what amp you're talking about as well. some are well built, using quality components and excellent workmanship. Others are, well, not so durable. This goes for boutique and work horse amps. Old 80's peavey mark 3 and mark 4 amps never seem to die, and the svt's from the 70's generally prove to be quite durable as well. What amp are you looking at?
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The only concern I would have is making sure that the parts are available if it breaks. I would have no problem with an older am if it has been well maintained. I would with an amp that is not made anymore or a limited amount of parts available for repair. Both of which I have owned/own but I would be concerned about getting parts IF something breaks
  5. I still use a Music Man HD130 that I got around 1973. Tubed a couple of times, the JJ's in it now have been kickin' butt for years. Old & solid. Ask the roadies who have dropped it. :scowl: