1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How old is too old

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Revvv, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 25 years of age

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. 25-30 years of age

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. 30-35 years of age

15 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 35-37 years of age

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. 37-40 years of age

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. 40-45 years of age

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 45-47 years of age

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. 47-50 years of age

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. 50-55 years of age

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. 55-60 years of age

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. 60-65 years of age

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  12. Age has no limits - old people can rock too

143 vote(s)
    72.6%
  1. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Personally, age means nothing to me. I have learned that the older we get, the more proficient we are with out instruments.

With that being said, I have been working on assembling a small project, and in the processes of doing so I have come across something that I didn't expect. People are asking me what "my" age is. I don't have a problem telling people I'm 33 years old. I'm proud to have about 20 years of playing experience under my belt.

However, I was getting ready to audition a very talented (and attractive) female vocalist the other day when she stopped me in my tracks by saying that most people think she is too old to do anything serious. I asked her age only to find out that she is 35. I have also run across a pair of drummers that are in their 40s and a pro level guitarist that is in his mid 40s. These people are rocking just as hard, if not harder than I did 10 - 15 years ago.

So how old is too old in your opinion when it comes to a new record contract? A new band? A new tour? .....and so on?

Your opinion isn't going to sway me on what I am doing, but I am curious to know your thoughts.

2. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Oh, and my comment to the kids that think I'm a little old; I enjoy telling them that bass players are supposed to be old. It takes a seasoned pro to lock in the groove and hold an entire set list together.

I actually told a group of 20 year old guys that this past week. After we all joked around and laughed I was asked to fill in while they search for a bassist. They have a few gigs coming up with a few big labels, and they have lost their bassist. I asked why me instead of finding another young guy. The reply I got; "You play better than the people we have found in our age range. If you would join us, we would take you in, and be happy to have you". I laughed at them, and then signed up to fill in on bass until they found someone. The bad part is that I am not in need of an extra project.

Sorry guys, I can't tell you who is looking, but if you look in the obvious places you will find a few high profile bands auditioning.

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    when the musics too loud :bassist:

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I voted 25....

Of course old people can rock - I'm 39, and have no intention of ever quitting. However I'm not going to get signed, at least in the "get signed" way. I guess it's possible that I might someday produce music that someone wants to release (lets say that it is), and technically I would have some kind of contract with them to do that.

However no one of my age is ever going to be "signed" in the hit the big time sense. Firstly that stuff doesn't happen any more anyway, but the market for "pop stars" is ages 8-15 (check out the target demographics for radios stations and the like - even the shows my 2 year old watches have promo appearances), so anyone over 20 is ancient.

However the real reason is that anyone over 25 SHOULD have a life. If they don't they're probably not very interesting/mature people. I can't/don't want to give up everything I have for a chance of making it - rather than being a meal ticket, getting signed would mean being much WORSE of financially. I don't want to spend the next five years living in the back of a transit van playing dive venues for no money. Not to mention that my wife/kids would probably object that a) I'm not here, and b) the bills aren't getting paid.

When you're younger you have no commitments, and nothing to give up to chase the dream, so that $1,000,000 contract looks amazing. At 40, you're smart enough to take out the upfront costs that the $1M has to pay for then split the $200K thats left 5 ways and decide that your familiy would starve on a that "dream" contract.

5. If yer talking major label signed, I'd say 25 max. I know a few guys who have attracted label interest and as soon as the A&R guy realises they're not kids... see ya later.

Live it's totally different. I'm 49 and gigging with a young (19) original act. His demographic is mainly early 20's and younger but the few "mature" folks who catch him seem to really like it as well.

I personally get a great reaction from the kids in the crowd, especially when I do my solo's, 'coz I rev 'em up as much as I can. I think it also helps that when I perform I always appear super-confident and have NO humility on stage. And I'm NOT trying to pretend I'm 22 again, it just comes naturally when I'm feeding off the positive vibe I get.

Mind you I'm not under any illusions that when he starts attracting label interest he'll be under a LOT of pressure to "drop the old geezer".

6. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Do this experiment: walk outside; walk back inside. Did you get hit by lightning? Nope. Cool. Your chances of getting signed are less than getting hit by a bolt from above. Now you can go ahead and play regardless of how old you are...

7. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Me getting signed isn't the issue. I am a working musician that has backing. Me getting people I play with signed is more or less the issue. I am building an outside project. Age doesn't matter to me personally, I can likely get a label if it came to that with my little side job. I am just looking for a general concensus and opinion.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1.

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I voted 30-35. Meaning, I think that 30 is the oldest that most labels are looking for. Obviously, some over-30s will get signed, and almost all under-30s won't.

I'm 43. Only 3 or 4 years into bass. I'm guessing I make more money at my day job than most make playing music. Being "old" has its advantages. I don't have to do anything I don't feel like doing for the sake of "making it". Anybody that goes that route, though, more power to 'em.

--Bomb :bassist:

10. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    These are true words. I enjoy knowing that I don't have to jump through hoops. I not only play bass, I have a day job on top of playing. If I don't agree with something musically I have an upper hand. I can leave.

11. Robybass

Robybass

Nov 3, 2006
    Massachusetts
    How old you think they are? If you combine all their ages there's more than 500 years and they still rock as hard as kids.

12. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    To be brutally honest, the double-standard for men & women is in full-effect here. A mid-30s male musician might have a chance of getting signed, but very few labels are going to look at a woman over oh, 25. If not lower.

If you're talking signed, major label type stuff, I said 25-30, which is probably stretching it. For females, it's more like 15-20 anymore.

Doesn't mean they can't rock. I'm in a band currently with the best frontperson I've ever worked with. Only problem is she's over 40. Even local agents and venues look at that.

I don't like it or agree with it. Just how I sees it.

13. Well if it's just about image and packaging, then any thing that doesn't appeal to 12 and 13 year olds is too old.
    But if it's music, there should be no limit.
    Of course it also depend on where and how you market yourself.

Tony Bennett is still getting gigs, and the Stones are packing stadiums.
    Madonna reinvents herself every year or so.

In the Jazz and Blues world, a 40 year old is a kid.

The great thing about today is that with I-tunes, Myspace, YouTube, etc. you can get your music out there and gain a following.

It boils down to what's more important to you, your music or being known.

MM

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Time weeds out the less talented and the less dedicated players. I've found that band members who have 20 years or more of gigging experience tend to be very very good at what they do. There are only a handful of guys out there that have been playing since the 70's and 80's and those are the guys that kick @$$!

15. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I'm 52 and still gigging! I also know that my youth is long past. My musical tastes have matured over the years, and now I'm free to do the music I love to play with some amazingly talented fellow middle aged musicians. Best of all we can still rock the house without having to be shackled by whatever happens to be the youth fad pop culture flavors of the week in terms of music. As far as getting signed to a major label that ain't gonna' happen, but with today's computers and recording software anybody with the gumption to learn the process can put out their music these days. There are already a number of artists enjoying decent careers independent of any major label, including older artists who still remain creative and active. A person is as old they think they are in their own minds, but there are still a lot of us still playing and loving it, as we never found a mandatory retirement clause in our contract with life.

16. Depends on the goal. Sometimes I've seen some 50 year olds covering top 40 music and attempting to drop it like it's hot. What they were dropping was not hot.

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Depends entirely on the music your playing and the target audience that music is trying to sell to.

18. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    haha!

No age to rock. But to be signed to a label doing originals... I am turning 24 next week, and I am starting to get too old. It is tough to fight. But like someone mentioned above, the internet has made it possible to beat the media hype and good music is good music, regardless of who plays it.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Great post. Thanks for articulating that.

20. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Yes, but how old were they when they first got signed? That's the issue - the OP asked how old is too old to be signed. If you can play, you can rock - but that doesn't mean you can get a contract.

I say if you can put the effort into it, go for it, with the understanding that most labels are probably looking for younger people. However, I am of the belief that there will always be a place in the world for quality. Old, young, female, male, black, white, or otherwise, if you can rock, you can rock, and you're alright with this kid.