How old is your oldest cord?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by MichelD, Aug 2, 2020.

1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    In 1977 I was going to Europe with my German-born wife to show off our new 7-month old baby to her family.

I wanted to bring my Japanese Les Paul guitar along to jam with her best friend's brother. Spending a day in Vancouver prior to catching our flight I decided to find a cardboard box to ship the guitar in to protect it, cushioned by clothing. I went into the alley behind Long and McQuade on Granville Street and found a Fender bass box. Perfect!

Packed the guitar inside as planned and when we got to my in-law's place in Germany, unpacked the guitar and clothes from the other end I'd packed it in, and there inside the box was a previously unnoticed instruction book for a Precision bass, a Fender guitar strap and a gray patch cord with "L" shaped jacks on the ends. I wore that strap out over the years, but I still have the cord. It's right here within arm's reach plugged into my practice amp, still working fine. Much better than many others I've bought and worn out over the years.

JoeDaddio, thabassmon and MonetBass like this.
  2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Don't use it out anymore, but it is still plugged in to my home practice setup -- had it since 1981 or '82.

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I have one I still use at home.
    Problably from around 1995....

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I have a phone style cord from the 60's, that came stock with an Eko guitar I think. I never use it but it works.

bassdude51 likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Mid '70s Whirlwind, with those brass/white shell military style plugs they used, back in the day. 25' long, IIRC.

Jim C likes this.
  6. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have 2 of the same vintage 70’s 20-25ft whirlwind cables with the white and brass military style connectors and they both are still doing fine in the practice room.

Intex makes a great modern day version of these cables that will probably last just as long as the whirlwinds.

Old Whirlwind-
    7DBF34C9-BDFE-461F-97BC-B27E6C0091DA.jpeg

New Intex-
    67DF4C69-50DB-4671-B4AD-75092C4D9871.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    JGbassman likes this.
  7. The best part it it was free!

8. I have a working coiled cord that came new with an Airline H77 my uncle bought new in 1964. It still works fine.
    Montgomery Ward quality.
    I inherited it with the guitar.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    About 20 years.

thabassmon likes this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Another Whirlwind owner from way back. I think mine are from the late 70's and about 15' or 18' long. I did have to cut back one end a few inches but other than that trouble free. Who knew we were buying such a quality product back then?

11. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Now that's impressive!

Guild B301 likes this.
  12. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I have a few 20 year old cords that work fine.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Are the tips on those Intex plugs really round? Seems to me like they could pull out of a jack too easily.

14. Wild_Bill_57

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    They lock in better than a regular cable

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Can they cause long-term issues with their mating jack, in the the way Monster is famous for?

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I have a Spectraflex that I bought in 1995. It was my primary cable for decades but has since been demoted to home/practice use. I've had to cut off a few inches in the time I've had it.

17. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Whirlwind Leader that I purchased in 1991 that still works flawlessly.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    mid 80's

19. FiregloRob

FiregloRob

May 14, 2019
    Newcastle
    I have a fender cable that came with my old Precision Deluxe from 1999 that I still use. (The bass is long gone....)
    My main gigging cable I bought in 2002 from a company that makes cables to order. Neutrik jacks, Van Damme cable, 20 foot long, still gigged 18 years later.

20. Wild_Bill_57

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    The rounded tip is actually true military style. I have using them for years, no problems at all.

Jim C likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021