Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How old is your Upright?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chris Brodowski, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Hi guys, I am from over in the BG forum. An interesting post was raised over there: How old was your bass. Well, I would like to see just how ancient (or new) some of these sweet ol' uprights are. :p

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    c.1930 Juzek 5-string; made in Prague

Monte

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    1941 Kay, my Juzek is the subject of two opinions, either pre- or post-WWII

4. For years I played on an Italian bass that was about 300 years old. The problem was, that particular bass was in such poor condition it was constantly giving me problems with repairs. To be honest, the sound of that bass was very muddy.

I've since switched to a modern instrument - a superbly crafted 1994 Peter Elias bass, which stands up to just about any other fine old bass I've played next to. It doesn't need to be old to be a great bass - it just needs to be very well made. :)

5. I (being a bass player with basically no knowlege of DB) didn't know they made > 4 string Double Basses!!!! Is it tuned the standard BEADGB??? If it is, that B must sound THUNDEROUS....I'm gonna start reading more DB posts....:D

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    2000 Sirleto, previously owned a '29 Juzek and before that a Czech plywood from the late 40's or 50's.

7. flypa38

flypa38

Apr 17, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just started payments on a '52 Kay C-1 today!!!!!

8. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    2000 Fiedler.

9. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    1930's German - unknown origin.

1970's Englehardt

10. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    late 90's Strunal

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    1840's German 3/4. Made in Berlin.:D

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a Steinberger Electric Upright bass which is a 5 stringer with low B - the low D below normal bottom E is "thunderous" - well maybe more like an earthquake ;) - and is felt through the floor by everyone in the room!

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    1990's Anonymous German; 1920's (I think) American Standard Plywood.

14. The store said it was from around 1950, the lutheir said it could have been the 70's, the research I did would say that it was from around 1920. An old german 5/8 lewis (plywood), made for the company when it was still in chicago. Very little info to be found on this company. lets just say its not new.

Its also a four string, tuned E A D G. Remember chris B, when Leo Fender designed the first fretted electric bass, he called it the Precision bass, and made it for upright bassists who needed a portabilty option. ( thats the story I heard anyhow)

The low B's on 5 string double basses, however, are thunderous, if its a well made bass.

15. 2001 Christopher

Engelhardt 19?? (anyone know how to research Kay/Engelhardt serial numbers?).

16. I just got in from France last night. On another thread, I'll tell about the splendid day I spent with Olivier seeing luthiers in Paris.
    As for the question, I had a Tyrolean c. 1860-70; a Kaakstein from 1890. I just sold my Mittenwald jazz bass, c. 1900. Juzek from Germany, late 40's ?; Kay S-1, 1950's.
    Currently: American Standard, 1925; DeLeone, 1935; anonymous (I found out it IS NOT French) to die for, probably Eastern European, 1950?-1970?

17. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Take a look at http://www.kaybass.com there in info about s/n's there

my Cristopher is a 2001 I had a Kay that was ? old poor old thing was rode hard and put away wet!

Joe

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just got the Spring 2002 edition of Double Bassist magazine which has a feature on a 1767 bass by Johnann Joseph Stadmann,once in the possession of Viennese virtuoso Franz Simandl - with extensive pictures and details!

So, this is a 5 string bass and the article says : "Viennese basses of the Classical period were commonly built as five-stringers."

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Born in 67 just like me

AJ

20. is about 150 years old.