Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How old were you when you learned Teen Town?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I'm 14 and yesterday I started learning this monster at 1/2 speed, and I was wonder how old you were when you learned Teen Town?

2. No , but I can play chopsticks!

3. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm guessing.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never bothered to learn the whole song.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm 41 and I don't know it. So there ya have it.

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    I don't know Teen Town, but I know the start of Birdland. I was 17 when I learned it.

I probably won't go too in deep with Teen Town. Well, maybe later...

7. I'll tell ya when and if I ever bother. I'd rather write my own basslines.

No disrespect.

Mon

8. 15, ive learned most of it.

9. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    17 or 18. Still gotta warm up for about half an hour when I'm gonna play it at full speed or faster though. You're in for several hours of work but after that it's a really fun song to play. That is, if your band(especially your drummer) can pull it off.

10. yeah, i am on the same page as mon rominee, i haven't really bothered learning other peoples songs, as much as i like that song and jaco and weather report, i have no ambition to play their music.
    maybe i'll learn it someday though...

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I never tried to learn it...BUT I learned a very similar bassline (the bass/trombone soli in a song called Chicken Scratch) in twenty minutes. If you want to see me do it, come to the montreal jazzfest July 8th @ 3pm at the big GM stage. Hehe, I keep advertising myself, sorry.

12. Mom said "No playing ball in the house"

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I never really bothered with learning it, but I kinda internalized the vibe of it. I was more into Stanley Clarke, as far as fusion guys go, back then. I learned School Days and Lopsy Lu if that counts! (Though I think I've mostly forgotten them now, it's been awhile!)

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know to many people you aren't a "real" bass player until you can play and quote Jaco at any given moment so I guess I'm not a "real" bass player. I have looked at a few tunes, but have never liked any of them enough to have a desire to learn them.

I know such words are never spoken on a bass forum and I will probably be banished, but I think the Jaco worship gets a little overboard at times.

Sorry, got sidetracked there. I'm 38 and haven't learned "Teen Town" yet.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I learned Teentown when I was 6. After that the rest was easy. Nailed Birdland and the neat harmonics trick at 7 and a half, at 8 I tore though Black Market and the rest of the 8:30 album. Then I got all caught up in Blink 182 and things have never been quite the same.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've never heard of...teen town... :ninja: :bag:

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada