How old were you....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nyabinghi, Jan 17, 2001.

1. nyabinghi

Oct 16, 2000
    How old were you when you started playing bass and how old are you now? Just wondering. Me, got my first bass almost 20 years ago ..... still not that good. Now I'm old (the wrong side of thirty). Binghi
  2. Hi Nyabinghi

I was 27 when i started (I'm 31 now) so has only been 3 1/2 years so far.

Most of my friends have always been musical/playing in bands etc but I never had the guts to do anything about it. Anyway i travelled through Africa in 97 and caught malaria so when i returned to New Zealand i went on the dole for 6 months, bought a book (Progressive Bass Guitar) and got stuck into it.

And I've never looked back - just wish that i'd started earlier!!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Started age 16, in 1987, by grim Irony, the year Jaco died.

Will C.:cool:
  4. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    I was 17 when I started, now I'm 20 3/4 and surely better than at the begining..
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I started, for real, at 22. That was 1981. I played for some five years, then suddenly I had noone to play with cause I had moved. The end of that story is that I sold my gear in 1987... Remarkable year.
    Anyway, autumn 2000 I got a chance to get back! On a borrowed Sqire P, lousy beast compared to my last, a fretless Ibanez. On the other hand: I still play, eh, not too good. I could do well with some lessons...
    But don't we do this because we love it? Even me, almost 42 years old, on the UPPER side of thirty ;)
  6. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Started in '73, at the age of 16. Turned pro in '76, and played almost daily gigs until '82. Got married, sold everything (@&#^&@(&*#^@#@). Started again 2 years ago...I'm 42 now.
  7. Started at 12, in 1987, more precisely febuary 21st, around 4 PM. I remember it like it was yesterday.

[Edited by Erick Lam on 01-17-2001 at 06:25 AM]
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Started messing around with bass at 12 or 13(I was the drummer at my dad's church) and when our bass player quit coming to church I made the switch for good at 14.

That was 20 years ago and I've never looked back.

Bass is where it's at!
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bought my first bass at age 20 (it wasn't my first instrument, though; I had played clarinet in elementary school and organ during high school).

I'm now 46. Better than I was in 1974 but still have a long way to go. You stop getting better when you die :(
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    It was 1978 and I was 15 I am now 37 man how time flies!
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I started playing g*#%@r at 16, in '80. Never really intended to be a guitarist - I'd heard Geddy and said "I wanna do THAT!" :cool: - it just happened and I stuck with it. Finally back in '94 (which would have made me 30) I said "the heck with this", sold my amps and most of my guitars, bought a beautiful bass (the one you see in any photos of me here), and went HOME :D.
  12. I first knew I wanted to play bass the moment I heard Rush's "Moving Pictures" in 1981, at the age of 13. My greatest regret in life is that I didn't actually start playing until I was 22. I'm 33 now, making up for lost time!
  13. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Started at 16, after 2 years of loooong waiting for a bass.
    Heard Iron Maiden (Steve Harris in fact) for the first time at 14 and told myself "What's that low powerfull sound ?" "A bass ?" "Ok, I wanna play THAT instrument !".
    I always wanted to make music but I was never really sure about the instrument until that day.
    Then 2 years waiting for my first (bad Hohner) axe.
    When I got it, I remember it was during summer vacation and a beginner drummer friend of mine and a another guitarist friend immediatly started a band. I learned to play that way. 4/4, 3 cords and dadadada dodododo dudududu ...
    One last note : the first night, I slept with it (the bass not my band ;) ... Am I the only one ? (hum)
    I'm 28 now and still learning hard 'cos I never could get real lessons ... one of my deepest regrets.
    But still having fun (though I now play some gentle rock ;).

[Edited by NJXT on 01-17-2001 at 09:01 AM]
  14. Started when I was 15 back in 1982 and I'm 33 going on 34 now. Back then I loved the guys who could play a million notes a second but now as I've aged I've learned that in most cases, less is more.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    After 18 years of playing trombone(I started when I was 9)
    I got tired of playing in 7 to 10 piece bands and decided to take up bass at the tender age of 27 as a 2nd instrument HA! I'm now 45 and I think I might still have a trombone stashed back in my closet somewhere?!?!?
  16. I started out on guitar when I was 16.When I was 23 I switched to bass,now I'm 36,but people mistaken me for 16 or 17.So,it seems like I'm really proficient on my instrument.Trompe le monde.
  17. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The first instument that I owned was a harmonica that I got when I was about 11 or 12. I wore it out but never mastered it. I then got a Stella guitar which I never mastered. Then at about 15 I got a mandolin which I never mastered. At 17 I decided to be a bassist. Having no bass and no way to get one, I built a washtub bass and played it for a year or so. I horsetraded my way into an old Kay URB at 18 and I knew when I hit the first note on it that I had found what I was looking for. That old Kay had more to do with shaping my whole life than any of the people in my life. Fact of the matter, the bass pretty much became the center of my life. In looking back, I'm glad that I never looked back.

I'm 63 now so it's simple math, just big numbers.:)

I started playing electric bass about a year ago and my enthusiasm is still alive and well. I'm loving it.

My latest instrument is a new (to me) electric guitar. I fully intend to learn how to play it. If I can accomplish that, I'm retiring. Well, except there are some sweet sounds in a horn...

Sorry for being longwinded. Writing this has stirred up a lot of great memories.

18. played first bassline on friend's bass at 16, got my own bass and started properly at 18, am 26 now.

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 01-17-2001 at 02:12 PM]
  19. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Took some g**t*r lessons at 8. Gave it up within a year.
    (couldn't see the point) :p

Four years later. Heard Geddy. Got a Rick. Been a thumper ever since. Welll..
    Hey Brooks! :D Welcome to the club! :p

...Ten year hiatus for that "marriage" thang. All gear - GONE :mad:.
    Back again mid 90's (divorce was final). Had BAD G.A.S. for the last five
    years. Now runnin' on empty (happy wit' my gear :D ), `cept...
    it'll start all-over again when the EUB arrives :rolleyes: .
  20. Started when I was 39. I'm 40 now.