How on earth will i be able to see which fret?...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    ...when i get the Warwick Rock Bass Streamer 5..... it got no dots in the neck... and i'm a newbie, please tell me will i be able to hit the fifteenth fret without problem?
  2. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Are they included then or do i need to buy them seperate?
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've been playing for longer than I care to admit, and I still need fretboard-side markers I can see. I have one bass with tiny abalone dots that don't show up at all on a dark stage and that's why I have had almost the same problem as you.

There are a couple of remedies, Phunky, without returning the thing to the factory in Germany or taking it to a music store tech.

Click on this link to see some nice-looking adhesive abalone you can add -

This link is for a more exotic solution -

I don't know if they should have come stock on your Warwick because I never owned one.
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    As if you can see your front dots properly when you're on stage and also interacting with the audience.... ;)

My side markers on my Warwick Streamer Bass out of 1991 work pretty well concerning that.
  6. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Practice, man - Practice :bassist:
  7. yeah, thats how i learned the without looking at the neck if you can, it'll take some practice, but you can do it!
  8. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

If you're a newbie you have no business visiting the 15th fret yet anyhow.............. :D

( Disclaimer: I am obviously kidding, please refrain from posting your contempt at this time, a more easily contemptable post will be provided later )
  9. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    yeh well i've been playing for 2 months and it's going alrite :smug: but is it true what they say about the stage lights that will totally blend me from seeing it....?
  10. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    for some reason I can automatically tell which fret is the 12th on any bass even with out fret markers. I think if you can internalize the width of the 12th fret that navigating the fret board should be easy.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you've only been playing for 2 months, stage lights would be the least of my cocerns.

However, a Warwick is a considerable investment and often, a "keeper." Position markers that contrast with your fretboard wood help a want to have good eye contact with the audience and being able to glance down at your fretboard and know exactly where you have to move because of your postion markers is a really reassuring.

Although I doubt it's not applicable to your situation now, light banks, no matter what color, tend to "white out" your position markers kust by their sheer intensity. They are hot and you never want to look into them unless you want to go blind for 10 seconds.
  12. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It does have dots on the side of the neck, which is more visible to you playing the bass than the front markers anyway. I'm not sure if that's what you were getting at, but yes there are the standard markers on the side of the neck, just not the front.
  13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I play in a band where the band leader likes to start songs with the stage "blacked-out". I've literally had to learn to find my way around the fretboard in the dark :meh: .

P.S. I'm way too "frugal" to get Simms LEDs ;) .
  14. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Get yourself some glow-in-the-dark paint at a craft/hobby shop. Just a little dot on top of your existing side dots will do wonders. The stuff gets "charged up" enough while the lights are up to get you through nearly any low-light situation. And if you're starting the set with a dark stage, you can charge it up with a flashlight just before you go on.
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've never really understood the value of position markers on the fretboard. In proper playing position, you shouldn't be able to see them anyway. They only lead to dependence on improper technique. My older brother stuggled terribly with learning guitar, and I remembered how awkward he used to look trying to bend forward to see the top-position markers.

Side of neck dot markers are all you should need. If you rely on them and can't see them on a dark stage, consider getting the glow in the dark paint suggested above.
  16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

maybe it has on the upper-side of the neck like fenders do.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is really more of a Technique issue, so it's moving there...
  18. SFell

Aug 19, 2004
    this is most likely too late...and u probably have other ideas from other people....but for me...something cheaper to do then getting fret markers installed...was I put glow tape on my bass...its efficient...effective..and pretty darn cool looking...the only problem is that they can move around..and leave not too bad of a residue...but all i can say is itreally good and its awsome to use if u have to find your fingering in the dark
  19. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  20. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    but do you bend your back when you play to bass. ive only been playing a year but ive had two rockbasses and a warwick on the way and it never concerned me.. just lay back and relax its way easier