Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Open is Your Mind? Explore Different Genres.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you guys were open minded enough, you could find some THE funkiest bass players in the world playing Gospel music. Listen to people like Marvin Sapp, Donnie McClurkin, Fred Hammond (who's also a bad mofo on bass himself), and Hezekiah Walker. Go get some of their live stuff. You'll hear some of the most humbling bass playing!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't it called "proselytising" - particularly appropriate in this case? ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Now I'm stalking you.

j/k;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm....I always wondered what that "ignore" feature was for! ;)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D :D
    Since a lot of people seem to be looking for the color red, so I'm just suggesting finding it different pictures. Whenever I mention Gospel music to other bass players, they seem to get this turned off look. I'm not what you'd call a "holy roller", but man, I love the bass playing in Gospel music!
    It's not just Gospel, but all genres. It amazes me when I play "Livin', lovin' Woman", or "When The World Is Runnin' Down", some older black guy goes, "What's that? I like that." Or when I play "Glide" or "Hair", some white guy says, "Ooh, I like that. Who is it?" I'm not suggesting you go out blow a grand on CD's you wouldn't normally buy, I'm just saying that alot of times, what you're looking for is sometimes outside of your comfort zone.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Honestly I don't think that was what CHUCKY intended to convey. I think he just meant to point out some interesting players in a specific genre that doesn't get the respect is due.

Using your analogy MR. ED, wouldn't gospel funk be like a different shade of red? One you may not have seen before, and might wish to try using in your artwork in the future?

While we are on the subject, I'm going to continue promotion of underrated and underappreciated metal bassists such as Steve Digiorgio, Alex Webster, Eric Langlois, Sean Malone, Tony Choy etc etc.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I've heard the name Tony Choy somewhere. Who does he play with?

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    As far as I know he's mostly a sideman. (?) He has done some work with Pestilence and Benediction, among others. Very exotic playing for a metal guy, even ambient at times.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Good Lord Ed, my cranium is vibrating!

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey, if I heard someone doing that - I'd probably buy it! :)

11. Turkish Music.
    Funny point, here is another.
    My DB teacher gave me a couple of Turkish CD's to listen to, he says it will help my ear let go of its desire to "hear" a major scale.

I can have a hard time with dim./aug. scales because my ear wants to hear a different resolve of the notes, i.e., the major scale.

Thinking of suing my parents for being such large fans of "The Sound of Music"
    Damn Julie Andrews.

12. My mom says I killed my ears by listening to King Crimson. She can't stand to listen to jazz--if someone plays something other than plain-vanilla Mixolydian on a V7, she starts thrashing around like a hyperactive 3-year-old on PCP.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Use it in good health:D

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have no doubt Gospel has some funkified bass players. Unfortunately, personal beliefs make it VERY hard for me to listen to Gospel, even if the music is good.

15. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    And for me, that would be some impossible ****. What genre would that be anyway? Brain Melt? Man, you scare me sometimes. :D

16. Actually, Ed, King Crimson has been doing stuff like what you suggested in recent years. Their improvs are pretty damned bitchin', especially considering that Robert Fripp is the only guy in the group with any semblance of jazz experience.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Gospel music to a great degree is the lost Funk.if one wants to hear good,great,grooving funk music and all of their comercial Funk outlets are exhausted.and they have never even given Gospel a listen,then
    doing so would be a big plus in their growth.but its only for growth seekers,and the open minded.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Except that they don't do it in straight 4. :)

Actually after Pat Mastellotto joined Crimso he started studying jazz at the University of North Texas (fantastic jazz program). I'm sure part of that decision came from playing with Bruford, who took the biggest jazz element in the band with him when he quit/was asked to leave Crimso. Bruford = one of the greatest living drummers IMO. I love to watch big Pat slam the skins though...that guy looks like he's going to destroy his drums during the faster songs sometimes.

By the way I feel that their concert improvs are far better now than say 95, not long after they had gotten back together (based on comparing live recordings). I saw them on the Thrak tour. Wish I'd seen them on the ConstruKCtion of Light tour.

digme,
    brad cook

19. I saw KC on the Level 5 tour. They played a couple of monstrous improvs.

The improv CD included with Heavy ConstruKCtion contains 70 minutes of some of the most violently beautiful music I've ever heard. It brings a tear to this smug bastard's eye...