How open minded do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    It's often occurred to me that many people really never consider the things other people say once they've gotten themselves in any kind of argument or discussion where people have strong opinions. Especially in places such as this. :)

There have been times I've posted stuff, and someone's come back with something that made me think differently or reconsider my position, and I fessed up. I've realized however, that that's definitely not the norm. Seems more often than not people have a need to simply prove themselves right, and they'll go to incredible extremes to do so. Like they don't even consider the information someone puts out - they just argue it. Endlessly.

How open minded do you consider yourself? I consider myself fairly open minded. A few things I feel real strongly about (a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat eating diet, for one) and it would take a lot to change my mind, but if you have info that would disprove my beliefs I'm open to it and I'd love to hear it. I'd rather be informed than right.

EDIT: IF YOU CLAIM OPEN MINDEDNESS WE'LL NEED TO SEE EXAMPLES IF YOU WANT US TO BELIEVE YOU!!! :)

One of mine is in post #10. I'll post more if and when they come up.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm up to being enlightened when I am wrong.

-Mike

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For myself, it depends on the issue at hand. When it comes to lifestyle choices for adults, I'm pretty open minded. When it comes to what's best for my own children, not so much.

In general, my opinions have been known to change as I've become more informed on certain topics.

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm very open-minded, but I hate BS and won't tolerate bad justification for an idea/thought/position. Of course, everyone is free to think/feel whatever they want, and after reasoned consideration I'm free to think they're an idiot.

5. This.

Also, I have to say that there are some things I'm not accustomed to that make me uncomfortable, not because I disagree, but because i'm just not used to it. There are some SUPER androgynous people that hang out, and it's something that sort of perplexes me. Gays? Fine. Transgender? Sure. Androgynous... is just sort of new to me, and therefore awkward.

That being said, I just think that, honestly, to each their own.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm going to make a bet with myself that the majority of people who post in this thread who say they're open-minded are the same people who I tend to see as being the most closed-minded on the forums :)

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Same here. Sometimes a persons attitude in their rightedness will make me more apprehensive to giving their stance a good honest listen, but if their position is presented in a respectable manner Im all for being shown what is right.

In that sense, I consider myself pretty damn openminded.

To edit, for examples sake... I dont think its quite so easy to sum up "openmindedness" with examples like the one youve listed Joe.
    Does a change in perspective automatically equate to an open mind? Maybe it does. But surely people with closed minds are also open to some degree in that regard.
    I try and live my life with an open mind, not assuming that my perspective is necessarily the right one for all peoples, and if anothers perspective will suit me better, well then Id be a fool not to be receptive to it.

8. It's all good.

9. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I'm very open minded.....as long as your ideals parallel mine. :) Actually, I have changed my stance on subjects many times when someone presents a well thought out argument. It's when someone tries to shove their beliefs down your throat that communication breaks down, and I refuse to hear any more. I guess it's how the debate is presented. If both parties have open minds, it can be a great learning experience.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm going to agree. :)

So I'll ask that you give examples. :) If I can edit my OP I'll go back and do that.

A good example for me is when a show your guns thread popped up a long time ago. I am really anti gun, and I feel strongly that this world would be a much better place if they never existed. I also felt that talkbass was a place guns should never be discussed. A few posts regarding how people in parts of the country other than NY opened my mind a bit to a lot of different things, and I was convinced that guns might not be the worst thing for discussion here. Got OK with it.

11. I feel so conflicted about guns. I love shooting, but I don't own one. Part of me thinks that they should be completely illegal, and part of me thinks we have too many gun laws. It's a complicated topic.

12. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    At one time I believed there were other basses besides a J and a P worth discussing..:bag:

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Funny, but I feel the same way. I am on the fence about so many issues these days. I can totally see both sides of any argument, and even worse...I often finding myself totally agreeing with both sides!

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think for some people they view others as closed minded because they don't agree with their view. Sometimes people just disagree, and that doesn't make either person close minded.

-Mike

15. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I am open minded in general but sometimes i take pause and realize im more close minded than i think. Im working on it. :D

I think every single person on earth has something to learn and always will. Taking in new info, objectively evaluating it, and reconsidering something you already think one way about seems to be very very difficult for many people. Its human nature.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think there are a lot of issues that people disagree on where neither party is more right or wrong. It can simply be a case where Party A's stance works within their realm, and Party B's works for them. Because they dont view things similarly they are quick to label one another as being closed minded. If they only listened to one another, and realized that they didnt have to agree with each other, but understood where the other party's stance could apply, they'd actually both be pretty openminded.

17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great post, I concur.

I've learned some of that here, interacting with people I probably never would in "real life".

-Mike

18. The Truth is free.

19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I generally don't care, so rather than being open-minded I guess I'm more on the apathetic side of things. For me it usually starts with whether I'm interested or not, and then how knowledgeable I feel I am on the subject if I'm actually interested in it.

20. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Hey, you talkin' 'bout me?;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021