How open minded do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2012.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually, and not to be argumentitive, but The Truth has come at great cost to many people.

"Truth conquers slowly. There is a wondrous vitality in Error. Truth, indeed, for the most part, shoots over the head of the masses..."

"Unfortunately, as Turths always become perverted into falsehoods, and are falsehoods when misapplied, this Truth became the Gospel of Anarchy, soon after it was first preached."

"Do not expect easily to convince men of the truth, or to lead them to think aright."

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think I am open to reason.

I don't give the bird to riders on metric cruisers while out putting on my '86 Low Rider. Imports have come a long way since I/we used to sneer at them. Now I think that they are great bang for the buck.

I am happy to meet any of my LGBT friends at an alt-lifestyle club for drinks. 25 years ago in high school, I wouldn't even speak to non-heteros. Now I will park my bike in front of their bars. They mostly won't come to straight gin mills though :meh:

I think every citizen without a violent crime conviction should have access to guns (as long as the government has them, but that is a different thread for a different board). I'm a Canadian from Toronto that has lived in New York State since 1990. We were taught that guns are evil. I now know that guns are steel; it is people that are evil.

OT Since Joe is open to it :), I'm going to try to help him with his vegetarian thing:

In the animal kingdom there are predators and prey. The easiest way to tell them apart is their eyes. If their eyes are set widely apart (especially on either side of their head), then they are evolved for immense peripheral vision for threat detection. These are your veggie eaters. A predator's eyes are on the front of the face and set closely together for perspective and range finding. These are the creatures that will cut off your escape and bring you down.
    You know how you would describe your eyes. IMHO, something, evolution or creation, maybe even Aliens ;) intended us to consume flesh. I do not have a citation, but I believe that there are diets that include meat that are at least on par with a vegetarian diet.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I do not disagree with the bolded statement there, but I am not sure how accurate the rest of this paragraph is in relation to herbi- vs. carni- vores. Keep in mind that some carnivores can be prey for other carnivores. Your argument may very well apply to predator vs prey, but that, to me, is not quite the same as veggie vs meat eater.

4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I've been wrong and enjoy a change of perspective, but have also argued for the sake of mental gymnastics. It can be fun.

Regarding your diet: we did not develope large brains without meat-based protein. If someone already posted that... sorry; didn't read it all...

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That is the most meat headed statement I ever heard. :)

6. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Initially i'm quite awful at being open minded. I guess I'm like water. You hit me with something with a lot of force and initially I hit back with the same amount. Afterwards however I take time to consider the other person's idea and decide whether or not their argument is compelling enough for me to change my views. Like when the surface tension is gone I let the idea pass through.

7. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think I'm open minded. Even if I still argue a point, doesn't mean I'm not considering what others have said. Sometimes it's just fun to debate. My wife hates this trait of mine. A person can't grow and mature if they don't learn, or consider other experiences and ways of thinking.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yet again Eric's stated verbatim what I was going to type..., so I'll just plus one this one:

+1

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I'm not very open minded but I am working on it. There are a some things I know are true. One thing I know is true is that some of the things I believe are true incorrect. I don't know what they are right now but I know it's true, over the years more things have been revealed to me. "If we're not confused about anything it's likely we're grasping the truth about nothing important. ... Confused people listen better not always but more often than people whose minds are made up Those folks listen only to critique, to see if someone else is on the right track, namely theirs. Confused people are more likely to combine kindness with whatever convictions emerege from thier confusion."
    I know that "love conquers all things" but I am still intolorant of people I consider self rightoues and that makes me self righteous as well. I have had to delete several posts I have made because of this.
    One thing I love about Talkbass is how so many of us do have grace for each other. I was very touched today by the reaction to Micah's post about his gender identity.

The part in quotes is from a book called "Becoming a TRUE Spiritual Community" by Larry Crabb

10. slobake

I guess I'm not done yet :D
    I don't remember ever walking away from an argument or even a heated discussion and thinking to myself "You know self, that person could be right." I do remember walking away being angry or worked up. That's why it is best for me to avoid arguments because they never resolve anything for me. But, somethimes I still get sucked in.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
    Elwood P. Dowd from "Harvey"

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    It doesn't matter if you are closed minded or open minded -
    I'm right and you're wrong!
    Deal with it!

12. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    I try to be as open-minded as possible. And I am, until someone starts shoving their beliefs down my throat.

-Micah.

13. I am very open minded, until you try to force you're "truths" down my throat... then I will vomit.

As far as the veggie/meat debate, remember this:

Life lives upon the eating of other life.

It doesn't matter whether that life is animal, or plant. You are still killing something to keep yourself alive.

Unless you eat at McDonald's.... that is just cooked playdough.

:)

14. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Too true. 100% beefcake.

15. Truth has no limitations, nor any boundaries.

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'm open to everything and nothing any of you say will change that.

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I am the most openminded person ever. There will be no one as open minded as me, I am it, Period. :)

18. slobake

:D:D:D

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm fairly opened minded. The only time I go into shut down mode is when someone is real obnoxtious about trying to shove thier beliefs onto me. But those people are usually the ones who love to argue...which usually means they're the ones who are running scared.

20. TOO open minded! :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021