How open minded do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2012.

1. The majority of apes (our closest relatives) that I am aware of are vegetarians. Binocular vision has evolved for both predation, as well as for brachiation.

For the record I'm not a vegetarian.

2. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I am open to reason and logic.

It would seem most do not know how to use it.

So I guess I would say, I have been more open minded in the past than I can be now.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."
    ― Carl Sagan

I've changed my opinion about lots of things over the years, including what it means to be open minded.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Open mindedness is overrated.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I enjoy debate, sometimes just for the sport of it, and can therefore sometimes come across as more attached to a particular position than I actually am. (Of course, sometimes I *really* mean what I say, too)

As far as "open-mindedness" goes it depends on how far the topic being discussed affects others.

Lifestyle choices that don't have an effect on third parties? Whatever. No skin off my nose. The happier you are the happier the world is.

Your freedom to swing your fist? Ends at my nose, I'm fairly closed-minded about that and see little reason for discussing possible alternatives.

Everything else tends to fall somewhere between those extremes.

6. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    I tend to be skeptical of everything and everyone, but at least try to apply this rationally. The end result is (ideally) that I consider new ideas fairly, even if I'm relatively unlikely to change my mind. A well-reasoned argument can still make me think twice about long-held beliefs, but it tends not to happen too terribly often since most of my long-held beliefs are brought about by past well-reasoned arguments that have stood the test of time.

As for examples-

A friend once told me, in that "I'm afraid of how you're going to react to this" way, that ey's actually polyamorous, genderqueer, and pansexual. My reaction was along the lines of "Okay, what pronouns would you prefer I use then?"

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a very healthy appetite for evidence. :)

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I used to be a vegan, wouldn't even wear leather shoes in the cold winter and would always get sick. I "DID KNOW" I was born a predator, the eyes, the fangs... but I just couldn't accept the fact that I was born like this.

I couldn't maintain a healthy vegan diet and lost my strength only to face the very thing I was afraid of, the truth that I was a predator; the most successful one.

I still don't feel good about it, I'm not hunting my food like a real predator, instead my prey is mass killed in slaughterhouses and thinking about it makes me sick.

On the open mindness, on my younger days I wouldn't even get close to a homosexual person.:rolleyes:

One day someone told me:" Do you think every woman wants to have sex with you? Do you think every homosexual wants to jump on you and have sex with you? Sheesh kid, live and let live..."

At that moment, I felt so ashamed of myself and never ever again thought that it was wrong. You are what you are, who the hell are we to decide what you are is right or wrong, as long as you are no harm to others. Also who the hell are you to decide what I am is right and wrong as long as I do no harm?

The universe is so big and we are so small that this kind of BS is insignificant.

However, there are things that no one can change my mind about unless they bring me scientific proof.

9. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I used to be that way too, but bringing up another point... I don't think you should base your tolerance on homosexuals on wether or not they want to have sex with you. I don't know what it's like to be attracted to doods, but I do know that myself and most other men, does want to have sex with just about every decent looking woman..... Or Asian.... Just saying...

And open mindness is a funny thing, as I think was previously stated, to be open minded means to accept that people will have their thoughts and opinions that differ from yours, that in its self doesn't make them closed minded.

I would go as far as to say open minded should mean you are open mentally to what's different or not the norm. but that's not to say, if your not open to different things, your closed minded. Maybe you considered both sides of something and are sticking with another side based on morals or beliefs, that's fine. maybe you accept the norm because usually the majority of what's considered the norm is normal for a reason (though it's seeming less and less these days) and you being different is just you trying to be different (see hipster thread)

Basically you can tell someone there closed minded, but your taking the chance of being the closed minded one, it's all opinions.

I consider someone closed minded when they accept everything or a way of thinking because of their region/race/sexual orientation/religion and never even gave a second thought to weight both sides. Anybody who disagrees is seen as evil and they know their wrong there just that way because there evil at heart, when in reality most people have good intentions, even the worst blunders in history or events or politics are in good intentions.

10. Open mindedness, to me, is about listening to another view or opinion and considering its value.

I once listened to a guy talk about the Urantia Files for 2 hours after a gig - now that's open-minded! ;)

11. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    I like to stalk my veggies before pouncing and devouring them.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm a middle aged white guy.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

13. nonspoken

nonspoken

Apr 8, 2012
    So if you see someone doing something you don't agree with and you tell them that they are wrong, does that make you close minded for telling them they are wrong?
    how about telling people that they aren't openminded? Isn't that ignorant?
    I like to think im openminded, but I have certain beliefs that force me to be less that open to suggestions about certain ideas. Abortion for one thing, healthcare for another, education, euthanasia, money, the environment. I have very strong feelings about them all and my mind is going to need very strong convincing(nearly to the point of brainwashing) to change.
    politics, religion, philosophy, science... these subjects are all open for debate, but they lose their luster without strong opinions towards one side or the other.
    live and let live is a great philosophy for the apathetic.....

14. I think the term 'open-minded' is a loaded term. It seems like most people who want you to be open minded about something dont actually mean to be open minded about it, they just want you to react in a positive way.
    Personally, i think being open minded just means that you'll consider both the positive and the negative aspects before coming to a conclusion rather than giving a gut reaction right away. If someone told me that they were a cannibal, but want me to be open minded about it, i would be, but at the same time, i dont agree with it. Will i let them live their life as a cannibal? Yes, so long as they arent breaking the law and arent actively trying to eat me. They can do whatever they want then. However i lack the energy to hate people...too exhausting for what you get in return.

15. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    I'm pretty sure cannibalism is illegal...

^Definitely agree!

16. I'd like to think this is me as well.

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    My gut reaction is to agree with that statement. My immediate secondary reaction is to realize there are some issues that I simply will not back down on regardless of how much evidence (sic) is presented that supports the opposing viewpoint.

Despite that (which would appear to be the antithesis of "open-minded"), I do consider myself open-minded...and, just as an example (probably the least contentious, least political or religious/moral example I can come up with) I believe that being open-minded is far healthier both for an individual and for society than being close-minded.

Yet if someone somehow came up with empirical, objective, peer-vetted, solid proof that being close-minded was actually healthier both for an individual and for society than being open-minded, I would still believe firmly and resolutely that the opposite is true.

So I don't know...

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    well, generally conservative folks can't stand me because I'm "too liberal", and liberal folks can't stand me because I'm "too conservative", so I'm not sure what that means...

I've been accused of not wanting to "take a stand" on some particular topic(s) but in reality, I can more often then not see both sides of an issue. I just don't have the wherewithal to accuse someone of being totally wrong and me being totally right when that's not entirely true. It's lying, and a bit ignorant.
    I mean, listen to any given "hot button" topic; have you ever really thought about what it is about an issue like that that makes it so rabidly contested..? It's because when you dissect it, you'll find that both sides hold truth. THIS is why it is a hot button topic to begin with. So how is it that folks will often fight tooth and nail over something that is based, in part, NOT on the "whole truth". That's ego talking, not intellect or logic.

So what reason is there to dig my heels in and take a stand rabidly defending one side, when I can see the other side's point too? I simply choose whichever side I think is best and await the time that someone can convince me otherwise. There have been many times that I've had my mind changed, and times that I have not. Big deal... I'd rather have a beer and laugh with someone then spend energy yelling and screaming over an issue that I know I'm not entire 100% right on just to show that I'm somehow "better". Life's too damn short for that.

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    This is just my opinion-

I find that the more closed minded people are, they are generally ultra conservative religious/ fanatical / Peta types.

Most religions are based on blind faith, which means not to question ANYTHING. You start to questioning anything, you might start questioning faith and the ones in power who hold all the strings.

Just my observation.

I am very open minded.Sometimes I am really shocked at how closed minded a lot of younger people are, but I find in most cases they are following in their parents footsteps.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I hear you, but I would tend to somewhat disagree. I've found some equally close-minded people among the more liberal of folks. Often maybe, it's not so blatant, but it's right on par. I think it's a humanistic trait rather than a left or right wing thing. Any of us are capable of it regardless of which side we choose. A religion is a set of beliefs that one may pledge blind obedience too, but so can any ideology be.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021