How open minded do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2012.

1. Nope

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I accepted the fact that I didn't know everything at a very young age.
    So there have been plenty of times that someone has changed a view or opinion I've had on something.
    Of coarse there are things that have already been discussed with people that are professionals in the field or have some qualification to lead me to believe that I can put stock into their information.
    At this point I may become a bit more close minded as I feel I have already cleared it up with someone that knows better than the person I'm arguing with at that moment.
    At this time it's best to just try and explain why I feel strong about my position and give them the decency to listen to their views. If it doesn't add up it's time to just walk away.
    Even that is easier said than done though.

3. It means you're a jerk to everyone. ;)

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    hell yeah! Now go away, creep!

:p

5. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    After much thought, and beer, I've come to realize that I'm much more close-minded than ever.

I used to smile and offer a polite laugh when someone would tell me a racist and/or homophobic joke or comment.

I'm not so tolerant of those ideas anymore and now I'll give the person making the comment/joke an angry glare (or more) and walk off when I hear that sort of [email protected]

I just can't accept that drivel anymore.:mad:

6. See, in actual fact you opened your mind to the possibility that kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable! Nothing close-minded about it at all...

7. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Thanks for the words, but I always found that attitude unacceptable. I was just too polite to act on my convictions.

I've come to realize that those attitudes don't deserve the least bit of politeness. Never a better chance to be a real a-hole than when dealing with a bigot.:D

8. slobake

slobake resident ... something

As a follower of Jesus I would like to apologize to all the people who have been hurt, marginalized, judged, ostrisized and worse by Christians. Many of have failed in the mandate to love all people, heal the sick, and bind the broken hearted. Instead we sometimes do the opposite. I wish there was some way to take away the real pain so many people have felt at the hands of Christians. I can only love the person who is in front of me.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont necessarily equate someone telling a racist/homophobic joke with a bigot who actually holds those ideals. Though, Im sure some of them do, I think its common for people to joke on touchy issues like that as its kind of what adds to the humor.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I totally agree thats why I added Peta peeps. Fanatics of anything, be it cars or guitars only see one color. What really gets me is the way close minded people, or people with an agenda enforce people not to question things. Demeaning people by calling them or questioning them being "Unpatriotic", Not "Religious", a "Liberal", non union scum, Republican, "Gay reference". That keeps people in line with YOUR THINKING. Thats the way Close minded people keep people in their place.

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I was just talking about this with a friend last night. Its not even just a religious thing. For one, I dont believe its on you to apologize for anyone. I certainly dont judge all Christians by the same hand, Ive seen both good and bad; those who truly practice what they believe in, as well as the ones who love to preach and are extremely intolerant of those who dont believe as they do.
    Actually, our conversation didnt start out about over the topic of religion at all, but rather a friend of ours who we all feel holds a lot of wisdom. His problem is his ego, and he's quite intent on letting others know how he feels they should be living their lives. On more than one occasion Ive had to step in as he's preaching (not religious views, but lifestyle ways) and tell him to humble himself. He's a smart guy, but he can be a bit full of himself at times.

12. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I wish there were more people like you. I meet so many reborn Christians who talk at you and don't listen to anything anyone says to them. Same with a couple of animal rights activists. Thats what a fantasist is, does not matter what it is about.

I was watching a (real) Nun stand up comedian. She was asked if Methodists can go to heaven-she said there is a place for everyone in heaven, they just end up working in the garden.

13. gnjpowell

gnjpowell Inactive

Nov 12, 2010
    Concord, NH
    Bass & guitar tech, FOH sound, backline rentals
    100% totally open-minded at all times and that's it. Period. Done. Fini. No changin' my mind on this one...

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    This, unfortunately, is a radical philosophy. It seems pretty clear to me that humans past a very young age become less and less receptive to new ideas and information that would significantly alter their cultural world view and/or fundamental beliefs affecting their ego/identity. It takes a lot of will and genuine intellect to overcome this.

15. I consider myself very open-minded, but at the same time, my mind is not available to filled with bull****. There are very few issues that are even possible to be "open-minded" about. Most often, they are individual lifestyles or behaviors, and being "open-minded" means "give me your approval".

I am more than happy to consider a different viewpoint, as long as it is stated clearly & makes sense. If it doesn't pass the sniff test - it gets flushed out.

16. Taking away real pain is not necessarily possible as actions cannot be undone, however, perhaps they could be paid reparations out of the church's coffers.

17. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    What I find interesting and a paradox of a situation is how native groups of people have been stripped of everything and basically no one really cares. What are we going to give them their country back?

Same with all these national treasures in museums that were pillaged from lesser countries. We're going to give back the crown jewels?
    How open minded are you when it becomes personal (insert your country/ not just the US I am talking about)?

What if you were on the other side?

That's a good way to tell how open minded you really are.

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    In regards to individual lifestyles or behaviors, I think being open-minded is more about tolerance than it is approval.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    BINGO. Thanks, that's a perfect way to put it.

20. slobake

slobake resident ... something

"'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'" - Herbert Spencer- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Appendice II, Spiritual Experience, pg. 568~

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021