How open minded do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2012.

1. I'm very open minded. I think everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion.

2. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I'm so open minded you can see my cerebellum from orbit. It's so open my doctor said to be careful when I comb my hair. I mean it's so open I have to wear a hard hat when it rains. I even stay open on Sundays and holidays :rolleyes:

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I won't accept any arguments that there's anyone more open minded than me.

4. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Agree completely

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    The older I get the more tolerant I am. Behaviors etc. that used to bother me, well, now it's more like, You know, we have some very serious problems that need to be addressed: The economy, energy, jobs, terrorists who want to kill us all. How about we spend a little more of our collective mental energy and public resources addressing those issues, rather than wasting time debating about, say, oh, I don't know: Gay marriage? Which basically directly affects nobody even if it offends certain people. Come on everyone, let's get over that. That's the least of our problems. Probably literally. Yet it will be a huge issue for the POTUS election this year. Why can't both candidates just say "It's not important, I'm not going to discuss it or oppose it or favor it or posture over it. I am not going to waste my time thinking about something so trivial in the big picture."

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Matt, I realize what you're talking about, but I'm using concrete examples of class-A bigots/homophobes and their tasteless humor. I've been around the sun enough times to tell the difference by now.

7. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Everyone thinks they are more open-minded than they are.

8. Check your byline dude..:D I detect a cynic...

9. Two suggestions for you...
    1: Go around to Charlton Hestons house and shove a pair of your dirtiest socks in his macho mouth.
    2: Come and live in NZ.... no handguns here.:D

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY

Perhaps his wisdom leads to confidence rather than arrogance? Maybe his 'preaching' is not ego-driven but truth-driven?

11. So like me.....I don't know how you are with religeon Micah, but I have had some fun with the seventh dayers and mormons who seem to feel it's their god given right to assail my door with their gibberings.:D I think my address is now on a 'Dont Bother' list somewhere.:smug:

12. Well said.

13. macinfloydvolk

macinfloydvolk

May 16, 2012
    So Uhm didn't know this was the talk religion forum - thought we were here to - talk bass!

14. Logic is a mercurial thing.....

15. hey man, it's the off topic thread..... and after you've finished talking guitar and playin and amps, this is where you come to discuss all the other **** with your equals......true though as you are, too much religeon can cause ...dare I say it....wars.....:D:D:D

16. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    1. You'll need a shovel to visit Mr. Heston. I assume he's not at his house either.

2. Gun control in the US is pretty much a moot point. Genie out of the bottle, horse left the barn, etc. From a practical standpoint, there are so many guns and gun owners in the US that no legislation could ever make even the slightest difference.

17. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Plus, legalizing guns totally would be like what happened with prohibition and the drug war. A HUGE waste of resources, tons of jailed people, a over-burdened society, destruction, and still the bad people will have guns.

I consider myself to be left-leaning but one thing I agree on with the right - making guns illegal is logically foolish, statistically proven to be such, and will do nothing. The culture is the problem, not the guns. And the people who advocate gun rights would fight them to the end anyways.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Id like to think I can discern between one or the other, but Im not so sure all the time.

He's entirely confident in his opinions, and I would agree with most of them. But we're not talking universal truths here. When you begin telling another person how they should be living their lives, that they should live the way your live, you pass the point of professing truths and enter the realm of preaching. There is more than just one way to live this life. Arrogance is self-inflated confidence.

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I'm not in to behaviour mod, probably couldn't do it anyway.

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I personally would half-disagree. In my opinion, there are universals truths to how to live properly in many instances. Sometimes we don't like to accept that though. We like to live how we wanna live. This is generally based on our limitations of wisdom.

If you feel he is wise, it might do you well to heed some of what he says rather than dismissing it.

Also, arrogance is not quite self-inflated confidence. Arrogance is based on something that is presumed to be true without necessary evidence. Confidence is similar - but based on something that has evidential truth. They end up looking the same. What ends up being the problem is something that is "controversial" has a gray area where an opponent of a side would declare the other to be arrogant - whereas objectively that person could be confident rather than arrogant. For example, I might call someone arrogant because of their views on nuclear war - but I could be wrong to call them arrogant merely because of my limitations of understanding the issue or the truths.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021