Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How our amp gear blends with our g*****ists..(?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dee Wurthy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. I know- guitarists are fat headed and all...Regardless we must meet in the middle and find a sonic agreement....

Here is something to consider:
    A guitarist playing through a solid-state head.

Now what do we do to create a good mix with this SS guitarist? Would you say that a tube bass head would NOT mix well with a SS guitar head? What about the same situation but with tubes?

Basically, would it be 'audiolistically correct' to stay with one amplification format within a musical group?

(TalkBass vocab word of the day:audiolistically)

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I guess I have never considered this. I guess my biggest problem is playing with guitarists that dial in too much low end. It muddys up the tight bottom I'm trying to dish out. It also makes me have to thin out my sound because I think its me that is muddy. As far as the tube/ss thing, Both me and the guitar player have solid state amps. Most PA systems are solid state. I guess if you factor that in what would happen if you mic a tube amp and DI a bass. It all comes out of the same solid state system.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't think it matters. Amp tone varies from brand to brand, model to model for both bass and guitar amps.

It's how you both adjust your tone that is really important. You both need to accept the fact that great "bedroom tone" doesn't sound that good on the band stand.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just buy something loud and then take a chainsaw to the guitar amp!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I guess that would work too:D

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Exactly what he said.

7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Guitarists... we don't need no stinkin' guitarists!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's what you play that determines whether or not you will mix with your guitarist.

9. Yes, I suppose its more about the tone settings of each.

Luckily I have a guitarist who likes his distortion to cut like a sword through a watermelon (resulting in an amp setting that favors the high end - no mud). This compliments my playing and low end a lot.

I ask this because my guitarist favors the solid-state guitar sound. He hates the warm tube sound, we both agree that its not as clean and cut with his distortion for the kind of music we play.

So perhaps this should push me to take advantage of his tone preferance and buy the exact opposite from a solid state guitar head -- a tube bass head. Nothing emphasizes something more than another thing that contrasts it,,

In other words in order for us both to be heard very well, perhaps using different amp types with different tone settings.....

How does that sound? Anybody have an experience that differs or favors that statement?

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think you're still over-blowing the Tube vs. SS thing.

There is no set formula that will serve in every situation.

The notes you play and the tone you get from your rig should serve the music you're playing.

Tube or SS, whatever...SERVE THE MUSIC.

11. This wasn't intened as a "vs." thread, just as a place to discuss how our tone is affected in a group when there are differences in gear. It has nothing to do with preference.
    -------
    If your playing alone, it sounds good, great, whatever; but add other members. Suddenly it may not mix right.

Would you think that it may have anything to do with the difference in amplification (not just tone settings)?

I'm asking if there is anybody who might have made observations regarding any difference in mix when adding that element....

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I deal with this issue a bunch. The tone I use depends on how much sonic room the guitar player allows. You can't tell them anything, you just have to deal with it.

If I'm dealing with a guy who has humbucking pickups and likes crunch, I'm diving for a Fender/Music Man kind of cut through.

If I'm working with a guy that uses a Telecaster and playing clean, I have a great deal of room and can use anything and get these really great, complex, modern Tobias kind of tones and it will project through the mix.

I spend a lot of time with multi-instrumentalists and one minute there can be two guitars, then one guitar and a hammond organ, then a guitar and sax, guitar and banjo or even at times two pedal steels and NO guitar.

For me, it's all about the mids and being able to squeek through the hole they leave me. I don't get the luxury of getting "my sound". My sound is whatever cut's through at that particular time and it's always changing. Tube or solid state isn't an issue. Being able to control the low mids are.

13. (This is dangerous, but)....

Maybe it's possible that all of these guys debating to the death about that T/SS issue are only speaking from their experiences playing alone...Maybe it doesnt matter at all in a group? Or whatsoever?

14. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Tube or SS, it doesn't matter. Just make sure you have WAY more power then the guitarist(s) so that while they keep turning up their volume, you can too, and eventually, they will max out and you will still be able to get louder ;)

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Yes, this is what I am talking about. I can crank my amp up in the garage and mess with my sound for days until I think I'm on to something then I show up to the gig and I have to make radical changes to what I thought would work. The ability to cut through without getting too thin means constant tweeking at the gig. Not only do you have guitar/guitars to worry about but also a drummer. I have found that as the sound man starts to really get the system going there is bass coming at you from all over. Some rooms are just so boomy. You have to consider this as well. I think there are too many factors involved to just worry about tubes compared to solid state.

16. We've solved the problem in my band, the guitarist dials in masses of room-shaking low end and I play with no lows at all.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Guitarist. I could care less.
    I have 8 other musicians to adjust with. :)