1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How our taste in gear changes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Interesting thought today while reading an old thread someone brought back from the dead and catching an old post I made. It showed how my taste tends to change overtime, sometimes even pulling a 180. For example playing fenders to despising fender to buying another fender lol. Or when I was really into extended range 6 and 7 strings basses and now that I have a relatively light weight 5 string I’m thinking “why did I do that to myself”. Tell me I’m not the only one lol

saabfender likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    It's about the music.

JRA, Wisebass and Nephilymbass like this.
  3. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    I expected to never touch another four-string electric bass once I jumped to six-stringers after two years of playing. Now, my only bass is a four-string. I went back once I hit ten years and have been solely back on fours for two since then.

saabfender, JRA, Stumbo and 1 other person like this.
  4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I did the same thing. Played only jazz basses, made the switch to Alembics, sold the jazzes and played nothing but Alembics for many years, now I am back to jazz basses.

saabfender and Nephilymbass like this.
  5. I did the same. In my long running originals band the guitar player uses baritone tunings so it was all 5 strings for many years. Then I got a little more comfortable with tinkering with basses and several of my backups over the last few years have been 4 strings I setup in bead tuning.

saabfender likes this.
  6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My tastes change as I learn about new gear. I don't think I've ever caught myself looking "back" at older or simplified gear. The only brand I've really turned my back on is Warwick. They simply refuse to support the US market. You have to go to a trade show of some kind to try their basses.

7. Know how you feel about Warwick. I was a big fanboy for many years. Owned a standard vette, FNA, and three thumb basses ;bo5, nt5, and nt6. I haven’t purchased one new in many years because since they parted ways with Dana b Goods as their US distributor you can’t try them out anywhere. And if I can’t try them Ive normally ended up buying used to lessen the gamble. I give a little slack to smaller builders in that situation. Like my dingwall, I know Dingwall is still a relatively small operation. But Warwick/Framus has become a pretty big operation to not have decent distribution in the biggest market on the planet.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    socialleper likes this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you're not the only one who's bass tastes have changed.

first off, i, too, avoided fender - i'm not even sure why. now i have two fenders on the rack behind me, and one is the best sounding bass i own.

i started off playing an extra long scale 5 string - for a couple years, i played it with a variety of bands. it was heavy, and at 5' 3", i probably looked pretty small behind it. then i discovered i preferred 4 strings, 34" scale. but after damaging both shoulders, i couldn't make the reach for long scale, so switched to short scale, and couldn't hold up the weight of any of my basses without pain, so mostly switched to small body short scale. now i'm used to short scale and i like 'em.

btw, for a couple decades, i only played black basses. i also didn't wear much in the way of colors - my clothing ranged from black to dark blue with a little grey in the mix. but i now own a mint green mikro and a red mustang. go figure!

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it takes a bigger person to admit mistakes in judgment.

i'm big.

10. Early 2000s I was in love with everything Schecter. Nowadays I couldn't give a flip about them. Also used to hate bursts, now I love them... Especially tobacco burst. Early 2000s I also played a shared backline of SVT and 810 and hated it, mostly because it wouldn't quit feeding back that night. Thought it was just how Ampeg was. Somewhere between then and when I got my own SVT and 810 my mind changed.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  11. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Ah, I remember the dumb opinions I had when I was a teen. Pedals were silly, rock bands should have Gibson guitars and Fender basses. Growing up, getting into more interesting music than classic rock and metal put paid to all that. Not that I don't love my Jazz but I play a Thunderbird equally, I've just ordered a Squier Mustang (guitar) and I lust after old Grabbers, Rippers and RDs. I've also got a pedal addiction that's getting a little out of hand.

Warwicks still remind me of Nu metal though, and for that reason I'll still not go near one.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. That’s interesting Ibanez reminds me of nu metal. Korns bass player, orgys bass player, early limp Bizkit. I personally wouldn’t put bands like 311 or Mudvayne in the nu metal bucket though I know the bass player from limp Bizkit did end up playing warwick

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Reading my old posts makes me think that I should refrain from posting.

But here I am doing it again.

Nephilymbass and Jeff Scott like this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Funny you mention this. At the beginning of my bass playing career I lusted after a Precision and finally got one. Over the years since then I've drifted to other brands, more strings, active electronics etc. I've just recently returned to the Precision fold. It's good to be back. Story chronicled here: A wayward lamb returns to the fold... (or, a brief bass history)

15. I started aith Fender moved away, came back, moved away, came back, moved away and came back.
    Now I need a P Bass, Jaguire and maybe an Aerodyne (I already have a Telecaster and a Jazz bass). Everything else can go away.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  16. My taste changes haven't gone into overtime, but they have definitely changed over the course of a few years.
    A lot of those changes came from practicality & observing what I liked or didn't like about different instruments (& amps) I've owned over the years.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass What the .............. Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    My tastes have changed somewhat... They have actually crystallized.. When I first came here almost 10 years ago.. I really knew nothing about gear or what I wanted.. as far as strings, number of strings, spacing, fretboards (21/22/24 etc), bass scale, amps, cabs (size power etc) ... bass EQ (as in what works best for me) or any of that. I tried the fretless thing and the 6 string thing.. and I have settled into 5 strings.. I never was a brand junkie.. In 9 years I have a better understanding of what works for me.

18. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Was just talking about this to someone earlier this week. I used to hate basses with pickguards for a long time. I don't know what changed, but, check my avatar photo. I also was anti-color; I loved exotic wood basses and wanted to see that come through (in my defense, my main at the time was a gorgeous zebrawood top). Now every bass I have EXCEPT the zebrawood top is colored.

I also used to play through a 410, but since I've settled down and stopped trying to play like Les Claypool and Victor Wooten I found that I wanted less mid and more bass, so I'm playing a 115 now.

I also used to be very anti-Fender, though I chalk that up to being a try-hard teen who insisted on being different from the masses. I still don't have a Fender, but not because I refuse. I just keep finding new Warwicks to buy instead. :D

Nephilymbass likes this.
  19. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I was at one time extremely snobbish about fretless bass. After 5 years of playing exclusively fretless, I'm now 100% fretted. I was spending half my practice time getting and keeping the intonation together, only to realize that the lovely tone I lived for went unnoticed. Also unnoticed was the fact I was playing fretless, comments were, 'oh, you're playing fretless, it sounded very in tune". Well, big deal, I can get that with fretted. So now... I have all kinds of practice time freed up to work sight reading and soloing. Much happier.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  20. I had kind of the same issue with fretless. Had a mim fretless Jazz and a Sterling by musicman Ray34cafl fretless. Were fun to play but difference in tone wasn’t as noticeable as say a fuzz pedal in the mix with the band.