1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How pathetic is this???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, May 7, 2010.

1. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a feeling that the people in support of sending these kids home would be the same ones outraged if a mexican kid wearing a mexican shirt on an American holiday were sent home.

2. When I copied / pasted, I honestly didn't even notice it. It wasn't until you pointed it out that I went back and looked. I didn't highlight it. The formatting carried over. I merely didn't *delete* the formatting.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    What percentage of American citizens speak english as a first language?

In: United States History [Edit categories]
    rc_gray1. rc_gray1b. [Improve] abar_a.

From the website "infoplease.com" it states that the percentage of English native speakers in America is 82%.

We have a way to go. :hyper:

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Alternatively, one of the kids mentioned something to the affect that she would "never disrespect them by wearing a Mexican flag on July 4th" And therein lies the problem - "us and them". It's very sad. Should just be "us" and "we".

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Ahem . . .
    Mexican holliday

The school in question is not in Mexico. That Cinco de Mayo celebrations were obviously being allowed and supported seems like a pretty clear display of cultural sensitivity. Feeling slighted because someone chose to wear an American flag T-shirt in America is pretty ridiculous, IMO. Entitled much?

I think the best thing to do would be to simple change the name of the holliday to "Pookie de Mayo", "Pooklesday", or something similar since that day is my birthday anyhow.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA

NO, it's not the same. It would be the same as wearing an American flag tshirt in the Soviet Union on Nov 7th.

No one is complaining about the Mexican pride happening in Morgan Hill, it's the opposition to showing American pride happening in Morgan Hill, a location in America...on ANY day of the year. You want to wear your Irish pride tshirt on July 4th? Go for it, pass me a Guinness and watch your sparkler.

I have no problem with celebrating Cinco de Mayo in America and wearing any t-shirt any day of the week, but calling it insensitive or having an issue with wearing our colors in our country on any day will never be ok.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yesterday was your birthday!?? well then - ¡feliz cumpleaños! :p

8. That about sums it up, IMHO.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Eh, yes and no. Freedom of speech would be protected here, as would their right to peaceful protest. Personally I think the school messed up big time. And for the record, not conservative and even I`m livid about this.

According to media I heard yesterday, one of the kids is half Hispanic and another one is part Spanish or Mexican as well. Maybe they were looking to cause trouble, but IMHO it seems less likely if this is the case.

Maybe in the 1950s to 1980s. And honestly in this day and age I think most Americans wouldn`t care or even notice. Also, Cinco de Mayo is not their independence day so your point is moot at best.

It`s not the official language, but IMHO it needs to be implemented on the grounds of safety. This immigration issue has gotten out of control (and it really is America`s fault, believe it or not) and something needs to be done on grounds of safety issues both for legal citizens and illegals, as well as monetary reasons.

We might be a melting pot, but if law officials, rescue workers, of ER staff can`t communicate with the people living here then huge problems are going to ensue. It`s much easier to force immigrants to learn English out of necessity (ie, not make everything bilingual) rather than it is to force America to learn a bagillion languages to accommodate all immigrants. It`s not fair for the people already living here or the people who came over the legal way and had to learn English just to pass the tests...

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Cinco de Pookie? Nice ring to it.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree, but the race machine is too profitable.

12. It would?

Mike

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Gracias

Hey, that's not bad.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Bingo.

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    For all those interested, Cinco de Mayo is not the Mexican equivalent of the 4th of July. Hell, Cinco de Mayo isn't even widely celebrated in Mexico outside of the State of Puebla. The holiday commemorates the Mexican victory over the French @ the battle of Puebla in 1862. At that point Mexico had been 41 years past from it's Independence day, which is celebrated on September 16th.

Cinco de Mayo is basically just National Corona day here in the States.

16. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    When and How to Display the U.S. Flag

The United States Flag Code stipulates that as the symbol of a living country, the flag is considered in itself a living thing and should be properly displayed and cared for. The code outlines the proper ways to display the American flag.

Decorative
    • The flag should never be used as clothing, bedding, or drapery. Red, white, and blue bunting may be used as decoration instead, with the blue on top, white in the middle, and red below.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/flagetiquette1.html

17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Its more akin to wearing an American flag t-shirt inAmerica on Nov. 7th.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm sure you mean moot.
    Cinco de Mayo is more of a US holiday than a mexican one; popularized by beer companies.

19. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.

this is not germane to the topic. the kids were not wearing flags, they were wearing shirts with image of the flag. What about lapel pins with flag images, is that against the rules also. better tell the president.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Whoa! Wait a minute.......

You have July 4 over there?? I thought that was a strictly American thing. You're telling me your calendars don't go from July 3 straight to July 5??

Freaky man!

:ninja: