1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How popular is ska music in your area?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SuperBassSam, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    I'm thinking about forming a mainly covers ska/funk/reggae band at my college. I'd ideally like to cover bands like Madness, The Specials, The Beat etc., along with maybe some early chillis and whatever else the guys in the band wanted. I was just wondering, how popular is ska music in your area? I'm finding it pretty hard to find a drummer who's interested in this sort of music, and although we do live in a small town there are a few others near but I can't seem to find anyone.

Cheers

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If that was available here, I'd go see it.

Ska has nearly died...again...It'll come back. It always does.

As for drummers...you might try to find a punk drummer, then pull a switcheroo. When he starts for the door, just tell him that Travis Barker plays in the Aquabats as well as Blink-182, and he'll see the light.

3. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    PS - in America, they're called The English Beat.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Not popular enough, that's for sure. Almost unheard of.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Non-existent here.

6. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Been dead for over a decade.

7. FrankeR

FrankeR

Aug 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ska is almost non-existent in the area where I live, I love it though.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I was in a ska band the last time it was popular round these parts (mid to late 90s). I've been seeing more "ska" ads in the local Craigslist...I'm sensing a coming revival of sorts.

The best place to scout for ska musicians is the local college jazz bands.

9. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Well, from you guys posts I'm thinking a ska band would go down pretty well! At least with other bass players, ha. Thanks for all your advice. The most frustrating thing is that the most talented drummer in the college, who also happens to be my best mate, is only interested in playing either death metal, or generic pub covers with a band of much older guys because he thinks he'll get loaded that way. I have the rest of the band pretty much ready to fall into place, elgecko your right, a lot of them are from the college jazz band, just need a drummer! Also, can anyone else recommend me any other decent bands in the same vein as Madness, The Specials etc? Thanks

10. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Find yourself a slammin' all-girl horn section, and your drummer will come around.

You didn't mention any 3rd Wave bands...Fishbone was big into ska, No Doubt, Save Ferris, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Rancid, Sublime, Goldfinger, Reel Big Fish...

11. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Haha, liking that idea Mo'Phat! I will look into recruiting some slammin' girls. Also, thankyou for recommending that list, in fact I've just found a song I've had a song in the back of my head for years (I think it was on the Tony Hawks pro skater game?), which turned out to be Superman by Goldfinger. So cheers!

12. The Selector, they had a few cool tunes in the Two-Tone 2nd wave, and UB40, which had lots of hits with their covers which obscured the fact that they have great originals. Also hit up some of the reggae side, like Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse and anything by Black Uhuru (Sly and Robbie, can't go wrong). Good luck with this, I love ska music.

13. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Also check out Less Than Jake, another 3rd wave ska/punk band.

14. its not huge here. street punk took over, and now its all pop hardcore and autotune. the ska bands poke their heads out periodically. id like to be running the ska revolution, but im too busy trying to save metalcore in my area. i hate cincinnati..

15. My band's next show is with a couple ska bands, we don't see them all that much around here anymore. I was in a ska band in the mid 90s & it was fun... Not sure I'd love it now though.

16. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Hey zachoff - I'm looking at your signature...and if you ever have anybody offer you a BB2000 or 3000, fretted or fretless, send them my way.

17. Ha, will do man!

18. It went away in the early 80's, soon after Punk went away. Both are as relevant as 'Beatlemania' is today.

What's left is 'nostalgia'.

19. There's always room for a good, loose Ska band.

Have a hunt for The Jazz Jamaica All Stars, long-time Jools Holland sidekick Rico Rodriguez & friends. Jazz standards done inna Ska styleee.

Skaravan -

20. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Guys, ska isn't dead. There is no nostalgia. I just saw Reel Big Fish at Warped Tour in July. That's my fifth time seeing them and DAMN do they put on one hell of a show.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021