How portable is a two-1x12 cabinet rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by appler, May 10, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

I've read all I can find about the crazy portability of having two 1x12 cabinets and I dig 12's. But how portable is portable? I'm asking because I'd like to know if I should sell my combo amp to finance some 112's. For example, would a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB head and two Avatar SB112 cabinets eliminate the need for a combo if I only bring one of the cabinets? Thanks for any help! :hyper:
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I sold my SWR WM-15 combo and got an Eden WT-550 and the Bergantino HT/EX 112 sombination. MUCH easier to transport, even one of the cabs with the Eden head kills the combo's sound, in short it is exactly what I wanted! Two 112's are the bomb IMHO. Thanks to my wonderful wife for knowing what sort of anniversary present men REALLY want. ;)
  3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I too have a Bergantino HT/EX combo, but I'm powering them with a GK 1001 RBII. I cannot begin to tell you how glad I am about acquiring this combination. It is not only a breeze to transport/carry, but provides a ton of sound for it's size. I really don't think you could get a more convenient set up to use IMHO.
  4. I use an Aguilar GS112 powered by an EA iAmp350. I have to say that it's great for portability and is plenty loud to boot. I can get everything on stage comfortably in two trips. When I add another 1x12 I suppose it will add another trip but the key is that they're easy trips.

I drive a small 2 door car and have no trouble getting the cab in my trunk. I say go for it!
  5. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    A GS 112 is portable in that it is easy to carry, and it will fit in the trunk of a small car.

However, my 4x10 with casters is convenient in the sense that I can put my rack on top of it and roll it around. Its a tight fit into the back of the car, but it does fit.
  6. My rig is a Six space rack which holds a Furman PL-8 PLus, Korg Tuner, Demeter HBP-1, Blank Single Space Panel, Crown CSX 900, Bridged Pushing a Bergantino HT 112 and a Bergantino EX 112........JEEZZUUUS what a rig...nothing but compliments...Sound is HUGE....great tone (the Demeter is IT)...loud as a PA...throws all over the room...can't recommend it enough...

I play Fenders and Warwicks now and am about to switch over to Sadowsky next month (can't wait!) Got a Vintage '62 Jazz and a Stage 2 5 in a Incase Dub Bag over my shoulder and the 6 space on first trip into gig and a Bergie in each hand on next trip in. Make sure someone is watching over your gear when you go out for 2nd trip!!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN VINTAGE GEAR IS INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!! I consider my '62 irreplaceable. My old man owned a music store and got it on a trade in 85 for about $150 and I bought it from him on the spot for $200 and have had it ever since....

It came in the original case and supposedly had the original set of strings on it and the mutes were still good. Someone had bought it for their kid and he had stuck it under a bed and it had been there since the day he got it until the day it came into the store supposedly and to tell the truth I believe it! NO rust...NO wear! PERFECT....I clean it for 15 minutes after a gig and it looks almost like new to this day!!!

7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Don't forget the use of a luggage cart or two wheel dolly. I use a "kart-a-bag" tri800 and it can hold up to 300Lbs. I carry two gs112, skb 4space roto and my guitar in one trip!
  8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  9. i'm another bergantino HT-112 user. i only have one, so i can make a one-trip load-in. my bass goes over my shoulder, the HT-112 is in my left hand, and my amp rack is in my right. a second 112 would add another trip, but they'd both fit under the cover in my hatchback civic Si, with my bass. the rack would have to go in the back seat, which would not be a problem.

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 powering two Aggie GS112's. I have taken just one of the GS112's to rehearsal. It's nice to have options.
  11. That´s the ticket for me too. I´ve got one EBS NEO-112 and I´m buying another one soon. Modularity is important to me, because I have different kinds of gigs. Many times one cab is all I need; I´d hate to lug some 80lbs beast up and down the stairs for some easy listening dinner jazz gig. But OTOH it´s nice to have more power at hand when needed. And even on bigger gigs two small cabs are much nicer to carry than one big box IMO. And it makes packing the car easier.
  12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I use an iAmp800 with a CXL112, and the portability is O.K.
    Still, the Gk200MB is lighter and more compact, so for low volume practice I use that one, for gigs and dress rehersals I use the iAmp and CXL combination.

I would say the protability is equivalent to any combo putting out as much volume as this combination, but the EA system sounds a lot better than any combo I heard.
  13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I had a pair og GS112 cabs and for the portability factor it's hard to beat.
    Until I picked up (actually lifted it) a Epifani 310 Ultra Light cab. The same weight as a GS112 but bigger box.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    2 12" cabs is a great combination. In fact I am switching over to that very soon. I'll likely pick up a Bergantino HT112 soon. The portability is great. I don't think you can find many combos that will match the sound you get from a nice head and cab.
  15. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have 2 Avatar CB112s and a Yorkville XC210 that I use in multiple configurations. The 2 12 combo is my fave-- it sounds great. I also is one of them with the 210 and it sounds cool too-- punchy, but with some great low end. Oh yeah, I power them with a GK 700RB. It's plenty loud. :cool:
  16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You mentioned 12. But, I have the Bergantino 115 being run by an iMAP800. Easy to transport. Plenty o' clean sound. The Bergantino 212 is VERY nice as well
  17. Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    I just bought an Avatar SB112 after considering and re-considering an B212. I was sold on 2 12's but portability and weight was the reason why I decided to go with two SB112 cabs instead of the 75lb B212. Like everyone else has said, you can't beat the flexibility of being able to bring one to practice and both for bigger gigs.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've used a Bergantino HT112 for quite some time, mostly powered by the Walter Woods Ultra. I recently purchased an EX112 to go with it based on many positive reports here and Jim Bergantino's recommendation. It sounds...uh...terrific. And yes, very portable.
  19. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Thunderfunk and a Dr.Bass 212 for me. Haven't toted it around yet but the 212 is around 56lbs. Knowing I wouldn't have funds for a 2nd cab anytime soon I went for 2 12's instead of 112 and another later. I guess I should switch to a gig bag too.

20. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for all the replies, everybody! :cool:
    Any more stories of one or two 1x12's taking the place of somebody's combo amp?
    I <3 TalkBass.