how powerful???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pheonix316, Dec 25, 2001.

1. pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    My guitarist just bought a new amp.... a 450 watt amp. for me the bass player how much wattage do I need so people can still here me as well as him???:confused:
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    450W for guitar? I just can't believe that. Is this 'peak power' or something like that?
    I think most of the popular guitar amps are rated 100W.

How much power you actually need depends on many factors. 4 times the power of the guitarist is a (very rough) rule of thumb.
    My guitarist has a 50W all tube amp and I have a 400W solid state amp - this works well for me...

A 'standard' setup for loud rock band seems to be a 8x10 cab (or two 410's) powered by a 300W tube head (Ampeg SVT) or a 800-1000W solid state head. I don't think that anyone who does not play large halls and stadiums will ever need more.

And there is always the (often only theoretical) possibility to tell the guitarist not to utilize the full power of his amp (= to turn down).

3. Is your guitarist running a preamp into a solid state 450 watt poweramp? There are no guitar heads or combos that I'm aware of that has 450 watts so I assume it's a poweramp. If that is the case, your guitarist will never need to use all that wattage.The reason bass amps have so much more wattage than guitar amps is because the low frequencies takes so much more volume to become audible than the guitars mid range frequencies. As long as your guitarist is sensible with his volume a 400 watt bass amp should be more than sufficient.

Oh, BTW, it's spelled PhOEnix!!!