1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How punchy are GK NEO 12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Aug 18, 2007.

1. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    Thinking about replacing my 210 Gallien Krueger RBH cab with a NEO 212.

Looking for some tone that is a little more well rounded.
    Just wondering how punchy the GK NEO 12's are?

2. Bumping as I'm curious myself...

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well the gk neo 12's are extremely punchy. i actually found my 1x12 gk neo to have more punch then my swr goliath III 4x10. however it is known that the 2x12 gk neo has a fatter/warmer voicing then the 1x12. i only have experience with the 1x12 but i will say punch was never lacking. especially compared to other 12's.

4. Interesting. Is the 112 as scooped as the Goliath or more flat? How do the tweeters compare?

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    you know i dont own either anymore so i couldnt tell ya. the SWR sound was so smooth and lacking punch where the GK 12 was competing for the heavy weight championship if ya catch my drift. very impressive punch for a 12. for me it was the PERFECT balance of warmth/fat bass and punch. my cirrus sounded sterile and only punchy thru my goliath. the GK fattened it up without losing punch. hope that helps! :bassist:

6. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    I have replaced my 210 rbh with a neo112 + neo115 stack, for the same reason you stated - to achieve a more rounded, full tone.

I think the neos deliver in that aspect. They are still punchy but more balanced in their frequency-response, where the 210rbh is brighter and more hifi in its voicing IMHO. Also when comparing the neo112 and 210rbh, not just for the stack...
    The neos just have more low-end. So much that I actually cut bass on my 700rb head to tame the lowend booty a bit.

And the weight: I laugh a little everytime I carry them for gigs. They are just so light and portable.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Even though my cab was damaged from Guitar Center upon shipment I could push in the baffle so it wouldn't buzz and I am VERY impressed with the punch and bass from this cab.
    I got the 2x12 NEO.

8. I'll jump on the boat of popular opinion with my experiences on the GK212. Not the low end and boom of a 15 but just the right feel on the bottom; not the bright punch of the 410 but a whole lot warmer, fuller punch. I usually dial in a bit of tweeter as a little seasoning on top and serve with parsley on the side.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I own both, and the G-K Neo112 is flatter than the Goliath, with heavier, deeper lows. The G-K's signature sound is full range clarity, but it can warm up too. I prefer the G-K tweeter, which is a little smoother, but it's not a huge difference. And it doesn't matter much to me, because I usually keep tweeters in the 10-20% range, if I use them at all.

The Neo112 is amazingly huge-sounding for a 1x12" cab. I wouldn't say it has more punch than the Goliath III, which will produce much higher sound pressure when both are fed the same wattage. And I think the G3 has loads of punch, especially with a Fender Jazz. But due to the G-K's deeper lows, it can sound more "solid," and some could perceive that as punch.

10. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    I'm glad to hear the comparisons between the swr goliath cabs and the GK neo 12's.

Before I originally bought my 210 rbh I had tested out a goliath senior and loved the punch but couldn't justify a 610 at the time.

I've always loved the full range that just about any 12 has produced. But I could not do without the punch as it is a fundamental part of my playing style. So I'm thinking that this will be the direction I go.

I also play from time to time at a local coffee house. So if the 212 puts out a little too much then I may just have to pull out the rbh cab again. Which gets me thinkin' ...
    has anyone tried a 210 rbh on top of a neo 212?