Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How quickly should your band learn new songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 2, 2003.

1. This is more a vent than anything else but how long should it take for a band to learn a new song? I figure if you're covering a radio song (any era), it should take no more than 2-3 practices to master because that stuff is easy, right? You learn and practice your part at home until it's perfect then you put it together at rehearsal.

And if certain band members can't play their parts properly, they should be booted out of the band 'cause they suck, right. Especially drummers that continually screw up, right? I'm right, right? RIGHT?

2. Dude, you are 100% RIGHT!

3. Yep, yep, and yep.

I'm a little disappointed that my saxophonist has still not completely nailed a tune of mine after three rehearsals--he keeps screwing up the form.

4. i say keep with him. if i was rejected everytime i couldnt play a song i wouldnt be in the band im in right now.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Well, is just one song, or is it a pattern that plagues the progress of the band? If it is clear that he is using the "learn as you go" method of rehearsal, and he doesn't have the talent to pull it off, boot him. He is wasting everyones time. If he is just having trouble with a part, or a certain song that he is struggling with, give him a break....................But being the reasonable human you seem to be, I think I know the answer:bassist: Rock on Granny:D

6. Yeah but you don't know how frustrating it is working with someone with questionable work ethics. I promised that I would exercise patience and work with him over "the next few months". I wish I hadn't said "months". Turns out that the drummer has known the guitarist and singer for about 10 years. However, he didn't start playing with them until late last year.

What gets my goat is that he never bothered to learn ANY of songs on his own initiative...and I don't ever think he will develop that initiative. I busted my butt to learn the songs when I joined so I wouldn't be the weak link. Heck, when the singer suggested a cover song, I had the bass part down perfectly by the NEXT rehearsal (written down and well practiced).

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    With the exception of some stuff, most radio music should be easy enough to have down in one or two practices.

We go through at least 1 song and at least 3/4 of two other songs everytime we practice for a covers gig. Its not rare that we'll come to practice prepared and get 3 songs down and tight.

Peace
    Nick

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    AMEN!!!! You've touched a bit of a raw nerve with this thread Granny. I've always been frutrated by this. So much so that I resigned from my cover band. WHat follewd next made things worse. I started getting phone calls from desperate bands saying "we've got a gig tomorrow and our bass player is in hospital. Can you learn 30 songs in 18 hours and do the gig". THese are the only cover gigs I did for 3 years, so I got pretty good at learnig songs quickly.

Well I just received an offer from a cover band that was too good to refuse. SO I joined. ANd how many of these guys can learn songs quickly? Only one - me! They're talented enough, but they're too lazy to learn things at home.

Practice at home, rehearse at rehearals!

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Granny, that guys cousin plays guitar with me! This rythm player is the laziest guy I've ever known when it comes to music. He's the kind of guitar player that knows NOTHING but how to strum chords. I'll probably go to jail if I ever have to hear "There's not any picking there in the song. Besides, no-one will notice it if we just strum it"
    IDIOT I tell you ;)

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Update:
    We learned Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name of" and most of "Bulls on Parade" today.

Our guitarists are switching between songs and its really frustrating that the one who has to learn "Bulls on Parade" is practically tonedeaf. I have to walk him though whats going on and tell him what notes to play and in what registers untill I finally give up and tell him to go to my room and print some tabs. Then they are wrong so I have to tell him whats right which he argues about because the Tab says so. He thinks the guys that write tabs are perfect musicians with perfect ears. Not that theyre always wrong, but they shouldnt be taken with out a bit of scepticism. At least listen to what it says and whats on the recording and then tell me if its the same.

::sigh::

Sometimes it sucks having the best ear in the band.

Sorry for the rant.

Peace
    Nick

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The last 'gig' I did was a gospel choir, bass drums keys and loads of singers. We had one rehearsal and in with nno soundcheck. OK there were only four songs but the drummer's kid had chicken pox and the keyboard player pulled out on the day. So the band instead of being two regulars and me was 3 deps/subs and a load of singers :eek:

Last year my band Slacker met 4 times-two rehearsals one gig and a meal (Slacker by name).