Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how r spectors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Jun 13, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I've been thining about buying an inexpensive spector. does anyone have any input? how they sound? durability? anything like that? thanks!!!!!!!!!

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have 2 and counting...they're great!

3. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    I like mine... Just needs some new strings

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How do you rate your Spector in comparison to the Ibanez?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Spector NS2000 Q5. They sell for around $500-$550. Its a nice bass. You can get almost any tone you want out of it. Id say its good for rock/metal more than blues or something, because it tends to get growly :p I ordered flatwounds for mine to try to tame the growl a bit, and give it a more funky/reggae tone. We'll see how it works when i get em.

Its really durable though. its fallen over a few times and its fine. No damage done. quality is really good. Nothing really lacking in quality on this bass.

6. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    I have the NS2000 Q4 (neck through,Korean, EMG HZ's rather "proper" EMGs).

It's a good bass,well made, feels nice, but the E string seems really loud compared to the rest of the strings.

If you can find one, get it.
    You can always change the pickups.

After my SD Basslines preamp going down, I had the original EB pu and pre re-installed in my Stingray.
    So I may dig a bigger hole in the Spector and plop the SD ray pu in

Still thinking about it

Peter

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try either raising the D and G side of the pickup, or lowering the E side. Should even out the volume.

8. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!! okay here's the deal i'm on an EXTREMELY tight budget.....i was looking at the OLP version of the spector. I was thinking about picking up one of those and putting in the actuall spector electronics....what do u think?

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You can get an old used NS2000/4 for $300 to $400. I would try to get the real Spector if at all possible.

P.S. I am ordering my 4th Spector tomorrow.

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've been recommending the affordable Spectors to everyone i meet.

they play great, sound great, looks great.

i almost bought one. and with my stable, i don't need another.

f

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    most of the ones that i have played i've liked.

12. i heard their a quality instrument, but ive never played one... :bawl:

13. Could someone describe the "Spector sound"? Is there one? From the times I've heard it, it seems like it's pretty high-mids oriented, lots of cut-through in the 700-1000hz range, but with a full-sounding bottom end... am I right?

14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That sounds right to me. I have an NS 2000/4 (neck-thru), and I've replaced the pups with EMG 35 DC's, but it still has mids galore, and more lows than I can handle. So I often cut the lows. I A/B'ed mine with a Czech Spector before I bought it, and the sound was very similar. I've also tried a Rebop, and while it doesn't sound the same, being bolt-on and having the Aguilar pre, it sounds like it's in the same family.

I haven't tried the OLP, but it has the same EMG-SSD pups as some of the other Spectors. I really don't know much about the OLP's.