How Rare Are MusicMan Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bogie1519, Nov 20, 2022.

1. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Finding it fairly difficult to come across a decent MusicMan BassAMP. Are they still being made anymore.
    Where is a good place to start looking for some? Thanks for any help.

nixdad likes this.
  2. Quick search at Sweetwater only shows guitars and basses.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Why do you specifically want a Music Man amp?

There were never particularly common, and AFAIK they have not been made for quite a while.

Probably one of the last bass amps was the HD-500.

JimB52 and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Heard one years ago when i could not afford one and it really sounded good. or at least to my ears then! I'm playing a Fender Bassman T100 all tube amp with a Fender 15in cab.

DJ Bebop, Wasnex and rodl2005 like this.
  5. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Nothing wrong with them as amps, but @Wasnex's question is on point; why do you want a Music Man in particular? While not exactly rare, they were not especially common in their day.

I think all the Music Man amps stopped being produced in the mid-80's, so yeah, have not been made in quite some time.

DJ Bebop and Wasnex like this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Did a bit of research.

FYI, The schematic for the HD-500 is dated 2001. This appears to have a solid-state output section with a tube on the front end of the preamp. I don't think I have ever seen an HD-500.

Earlier models included the HD-130 and HD-150. The schematics I found for these are dated 1980 and 1999. Ref: Musicman Schematics - Tube amp Schematics (el34world.com) I demoed either an HD-130 or HD-150 with matching cabs in the early 2000s. I was under the impression it was new. I thought it was a nice sounding rig, if you like HiFi, which I do.

These amps had solid-state preamps and tube output sections. My understanding is they ran unusually high plate voltages and have a reputation for being hard on tubes. Looks like the HD130 runs El34 at 725V and the HD150 runs 6L6GC at 700V. 725V is high for an EL34 but within limits. 700V is way over the limits of the 6L6GC.

7. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    You mean this BH500?

NEW Music Man BH 500 Bass Amp Head | Reverb

Musicman BH500

Not sure they’ve ever existed, or been seen in the wild.

If you mean the HD-500, those are unremarkable.

The old tube heads aren’t special either, but look super cool.

Their “Audiophile” cabs from about 20 years ago were excellent!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    JimB52 likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    They’re not rare but they are scarce

9. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    There’s an HD130 with matching 15” cab on Craigslist in my area

10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't help with the information, but certainly do own an exceptionally rare B100 combo - white pinwale with the optional EV speaker:
    My MusicMan Combo.jpeg

11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    My HD-130 and 212-RH cab that I bought new in 77 or 78 (and still have) came with 6CA7s which years later I replaced with EL34s. Really good amp that I used and enjoyed for many years.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  12. I see them often for sale on Craigslist. They seem to start high and sell for half original price. I’ve thought about buying one because I love the basses but I have never actually heard one in person. I was kinda hoping the ones coming out from a few years ago would have hit the market harder.

13. chriscarcinogen

chriscarcinogen Gold Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    San Francisco
    Weight?

nixdad likes this.
  14. Pretty sure these were made by MarkBass in Italy. I played through some in the early 2000's. Honestly, I liked them.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    They were recently, but they were made by MM back in the day. Once saw Johnny Winter use two 100w MM amps in a 1000 seat club and to this day it was the loudest show I ever saw, even louder than Kiss in 76.

wncBass, Geri O, TN WOODMAN and 3 others like this.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The HD-500 is interesting but had to be short lived because the output transistors were Toshiba IGBT's which were discontinued in 2004. IGBT's ended up becoming optimized for non-linear (switching) applications and dropped off the audio radar.

17. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Thanks for the update! Helps a lot. I heard a music man a while back. And it sounds great. Never understood how having a tube on the front end of the preamp works. How different than it is from a all tube amp

18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO designer intent is probably the most significant factor.

BassNugget likes this.
  19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Early 1980’s MusicMan HD150…
    1F0A0A51-E9BA-44D8-BF21-B30FD679401F.jpeg
    I’ve had this amp for many years and it still performs flawlessly. The hybrid design is different from most since it has a Solid State preamp and a tube power section. If you like loud and clean it delivers nicely. They do run at high voltage but so far the tubes seem to be holding up just fine. You can find them on Reverb every now and then.

1981 Music Man HD150 *Serviced Tube Amp Guitar/Bass Amp Head | Reverb

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  20. bassbones2

bassbones2 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Nicholasville Kentucky
    I had a 1-12 combo from the 70’s and it was Awesome. One of those “kicking myself” situations for getting rid of it.

JB

nixdad and LadyLoveStingRay5 like this.