How rare was the Candy Apple Red Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jellydonut, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    If she can play bass AND sing, she has surpassed me.

2. Jellydonut

Jellydonut Inactive

Jul 30, 2019
    Thanks for all the responses.

It’s a 1972 CAR with maple neck.

Before this bass, I’ve never actually seen one before with that combo.
    5Nov72A is what’s stamped on the neck.
    A necks are nice for me because it’s not the traditional 1.75 they normally used.
    Pretty cool bass. Pretty clean too, yes. With original covers and case etc

3. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I love me some Lake Placid Blue!

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My understanding is that it isn't the easiest color to apply. That may be another reason it was not commonly done.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    DANG that's cool!

6. i had a fender p from the 90s that was cherry red

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Don't say such a thing, you do! The bass found YOU, so you better accept and play the hell out of it! ;):thumbsup:

And loving the OP's bass too! :thumbsup::cool:

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not only that, there were no restrictions like today...all solid body guitars and basses with the exception of the student models (Mustang, Musicmaster, Bronco) could be had in any color, unlike today.

Looking at the shots in vintage catalogs make your eyes pop. The most popular custom colors were CAR, LPB and white (and black in the 1970s). Colors like torino red, daphne blue, shoreline gold, seafoam green, burgundy mist, etc. were available but not at all common.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.22.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.22.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.22.46 AM.png

Attached Files:

9. Jellydonut

Jellydonut Inactive

Jul 30, 2019
    7311AF99-8057-4A6F-9C81-65E8D24433C5.jpeg Here’s a nice pic of this beauty

10. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Yes, models from the 70s are more commonly using Maple as the fingerboard woodtype. The 60s had its glorious time with Rosewood being the 'default' choice. Maple then was a custom order, such as the Candy Apple Red finish was. Today, this colour is pretty common. Even though it's not being offered right now on any Fender or Squier model (correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm glad that this colour reached the Squiers, because 250 bucks offered me that beauty (yes, I had to brag about it because I'm in love, y'know) :

EDIT: My bad, the Candy Apple Red is offered on the American Original 60s Jazz Bass!

P_20190729_191027-01.jpeg

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have a CAR Japanese Jaguar with a maple neck, but I added the neck myself. Also, my son is 13 and will only spend time with me if I play Fortnite with him.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I scored this Beautiful Bass. Sat in a Fender employee’s closet for 14 years. Untouched til I bought it. Still has the factory plastic on pickguard. 59086E87-11DE-40D8-BC6A-2FA57F4F8EF3.jpeg

13. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Oh and well I'm at it, there's the very exciting signature model from Nate Mendel. I think that's the best MIM bass offered RIGHT NOW.

14. Jellydonut

Jellydonut Inactive

Jul 30, 2019
    All very cool ass basses!!!!

Wisebass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. Woodyrson

Woodyrson

Aug 23, 2009
    Love that combo!

Mine is far from vintage, but I have the same.

4482945962_bb866b51ab_b.jpg

16. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Beautiful bass OP. Maple board FTW! Congrats and enjoy.

17. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    My first Fender was CAR maple neck '72. It has the dubious honor of having been stolen from me TWICE. (Long story). Back in about 78, I hated the color and had it refinished natural. I have several Fenders now and would trade almost any TWO to get my 72 back. My foggy memory tells me that mine had a small decal that said "Custom Taper Neck" on the headstock.
    Nice bass!

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Congrats on finding a great looking Precision!

CAR is one of my favorite colors, so when I did a refin on a Lotus bass, I used a silver metallic undercoat and 7 coats of red-tinted clear lacquer to create this look. The black burst was done with an air brush and lacquer.

P3120038 - Copy.JPG

19. To answer your question, I have no idea but 95% of Fenders back then were either sunburst/tort or sunburst/tort:laugh: and many of them were stripped and are now restored to different colors. I traded a Tele bass for an approximately 68 CAR nitro P bass w white PG in 1977 and part of the reason I traded was because i had never seen a CAR Fender before. It even had the plastic guard on the back when I got it. It was red over gold over white and became a natural heavy relic over the next twenty years I owned it which is maybe part of the reason I scoff at artificially aged basses nowadays, not many of them look real, I had to sell it due to illness during the mid 90's unfortunately.

20. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    There's no need to give qualifiers just because it's a '66 and not a '64! The best sounding (in context) bass I have ever heard was a refinished '66 P.

bassdude51 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  21. That's identical to the 68 I had back in the day except it had a rosewood fretless neck on it that the owner had added.

bassdude51 likes this.
  22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021