1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How rare was the Candy Apple Red Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jellydonut, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Brian, did you ever see that CAR P bass I had? It was my main bass until 1995, it had a lollipop tuner 66 inlayed J neck on it for most of the time I owned it.

pht2356 likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. Everybody got hooked on those natural wood finishes from Alembic for awhile. My SO’s brother had a white 68 Mustang with red tort and that über rare “long hairline cracks” finish which he stripped and redid with Minwax Fruitwood stain in ‘71.

He’s never forgiven himself.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    In the 80's there was the Precision Special in CAR with matching headstock:

PBS0.jpg

4. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    I can't say how rare they were, but I knew of them back in the '60s before I bought a used '65 around 1970.
    sundance cropped.jpg

5. 3 knobs???

6. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Wisebass likes this.
  7. Oh yes!!! I think I've also see the one model with 2 split-coil pickups! But I didn't like the blended result on that particul model. However the Fender Jazz Bass Blacktop Crafted in China models with 2 split-coil pikcups, with the bridge one being less on the bridge side compared to that 80s Precision Bass, got my attention in terms of tone. Sounded like 70s Jazz but FATTER. Yummy

TonH likes this.
  8. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    That was the Precision Elite II, see my avatar and www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html.

:thumbsup::bassist:

9. Oh dear lord, I didn't even see your profile picture! Yes that was the Elite. Just checked a video YouTube again, not a fan of the two humbuckers blended. But the Blacktop yes.

TonH and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    edit: forget it!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Ok, let me send you my home address in this case... :smug: Welcome aboard OP. :thumbsup:

bassdude51 likes this.
  12. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Got to love a red pbass

Attached Files:

13. Among the Fender “custom colours” (which was just about anything not named sunburst) the CAR was definitely one of the more common choices. Much rarer is Sherwood green and Torino red. Burgundy mist as well.
    If you carrried enough weight, or perhaps had deep enough pockets, you could get a true custom colour of any auto related paint. Fender would send these out to auto customizers for painting. See Dick Dale and his Del tones band for an example of this.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  14. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    There may be differences also in the paint undercoat - Fender used gold at one time, but may have used silver as well.

rockdoc11, EatS1stBassist and BrentD like this.
  15. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I love CAR basses and @Jellydonut yours looks great! Judging by the paint traces left in the neck pocket, my `69 P used to be CAR. :(

But, eh, that's OK. The bass has a smooth B-width neck, and sounds fantastic. Besides, f the body hadn't been stripped, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I prefer the look of the silver undercoat, but like both. Candy Cola from around ten years ago in Fender's offerings is allegedly the same but with a copper undercoat.

17. Jellydonut

Jellydonut Banned Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2019
    So CAR has a few layers true? Metallic underneath or something like that?
    I wonder if that makes the finish long lasting or not as much- or neither.

BrentD likes this.
  18. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I don't know about durability but it's multiple layers. The one underneath is a metallic gold or silver. Then a translucent red goes over the top. I have heard it's kind of like a red Jolly Rancher in color.

19. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Yep. IIRC, when I had my refin done in the 1990s by John Bolin of Bolin Guitars, he told me that Fender would do CAR with either a silver metallic or gold metallic undercoat to shine through the red. He suggested that the gold undercoat would look best, and I think he was right.

upload_2019-7-31_17-51-2.jpeg

Tad likes this.
  20. Yep, true candy colours are supposed to be somewhat translucent layers over a base metallic colour. This is why, even in their heyday of the 70’s, guys were paying a fortune for getting their hot rods sprayed with candy colours.
    IIRC, I have seen pictures here of somebody’s vintage CAR p bass where the underlying metallic base coat was going a funny colour where the paint was worn down to the wood (exposing that base coat to oxygen.)