1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How rare was the Candy Apple Red Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jellydonut, Jul 30, 2019.

1. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wasn’t the undercoating all about stage presence rather than durability?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you used it when you were with Southlan' then I saw it.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Jellydonut

Jellydonut Banned Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2019
    You’d think with the extra layers of paint etc, the finish would last longer

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Three coats of paint, each different. It's not like there are extra coats of the same color.

5. Jellydonut

Jul 30, 2019
    13527FEF-8CAC-458B-A829-DF84ADB2E226.jpeg Also my friends, does this mean the neck is an “A” neck or is this just the neck number that happens to have an A in it?

giacomobass likes this.
  6. Jellydonut

Jul 30, 2019
    Or is that an “R” haha. Can’t tell

7. Looks like a B to me with the bottom rubbed out which would be a normal P neck.

giacomobass, rockdoc11 and flojob like this.
  8. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I think A necks were a width designation. A=1.5 or jazz width. Can't remember exactly though.

9mmMike and bobyoung53 like this.
  9. It had to have been it was the only bass I owned back then.

10. A was 1+1/2", B was 1+5/8" and C was 1+3/4" I'm pretty sure. Some P basses came with A necks, not many though.

giacomobass and flojob like this.
  11. Jellydonut

Jul 30, 2019
    Oh! A “B” neck. I’m an idiot. I thought it was an “A” or an “R”. It’s too hard to tell, my vision isn’t as good as it used to be.

12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    I don't think the finish lasts longer because the base coats are quite thin. If the finish is too thick it's actually more prone to chipping. CAR had either the gold metallic or silver metallic base coat, translucent red and probably a clear coat on top. The finish looks nice though, it has a lot of depth.

13. Here is my beauty, a 1987 E series MIJ P bass. I bought it new in '87 when I was in a hotel motel band living on the road, and I've had it all these years, where it's been with me all over the country in various bands and levels of tours.

It's been through hell and back, but it's one of my favorite basses, that has thousands of hours on it. I put a set of active EMG's in it around '89, and routed the j pickup as well. (The deactivated EMG j pickup is still in there.)

It's got a schaller detuner on it, and has sported various pickguards over the years. It originally came with a white one, but it's also worn an old gold Annodized one as well as a black one, which is currently on it. It's worn and beat, but it's like a comfortable pair of jeans.

It's wearing cobalt flats as strings, and EMG Geezer Butler pickups, as do all my precisions these days.

Your new bass is gorgeous, I hope get get to enjoy it as much as I have mine.

Here she is with emg actives and a white guard

image.jpeg

Here she is wearing a black guard, with my main squeeze, a 1994 black label MIM P bass

image.jpeg

And here she is wearing a gold 'guard, with the '94 in its original white guard.
    image.jpeg

14. Blad51

Blad51

May 19, 2017
    I have a gold guard on my CAR Precision.

I thought I was the only one!

JGbassman likes this.
  15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Not a P bass, but my cousin had one of the coolest CAR basses I've ever seen anywhere, WITH matching headstock. 1963 Jazz. He sold it a while back to a guy in China for $10k.

I didn't think he would ever sell it. His dad (who was my dad's 1st cousin) bought it in Chicago around '63 or '64. I don't know if he bought it new or not. It had a cool tweed case, which was in rough shape. It had some old Fender flats on it the only time I saw it in person.

IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

EatS1stBassist, Jellydonut and flojob like this.
  16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Candy apple red seems to be a love it or hate it color.
    Me? I love it...
    IMG_0850.JPG

17. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Last year a nice '69 CAR P-Bass took an extended vacation in my home. It's now moved to a friend of mine and will hopefully stay with him for good.
    It's a very beautiful bass in excellent shape, and it sounds good, too!
    B-Neck, TV Logo, barrel saddle bridge - all very common features from that era. The CAR finish is transparent red over a gold undercoat.
    I believe the percentage of CAR and LPB finishes was higher in the second half of the 60's than in the first half of the 70's.

Attached Files:

18. Guys, can we stop talking about CAR, it's a bass guitar forum place...

TonH likes this.
  19. Jellydonut

Jul 30, 2019
    Now that’s funny!

InstantEctobass likes this.
  20. Here's mine: '66 neck with Warmoth body.
    IMG_0876 (800x600).jpg

ukulelelab, Tad, flojob and 1 other person like this.