1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How real is the business meeting on the golf course stereotype?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Sep 28, 2010.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    While it's not too common in my business, how real would you call the business meeting on a golf course stereotype? My buddy and I have been arguing about the reality of it.

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I know that my dad has had the golf meeting several times with the CEO of their company. So yeah, I guess it does happen.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have had a few myself.

-Mike

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Like a masonic club for success, golf courses and deals are close friends ;)

I live 30 mins away from the Ryder Cup venue this year.

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    It's 95% social with a few work related discussions.

6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    When I was doing the freight forwarder thing, it seemed like my boss was out on the course with clients more then he was in the office.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It is real because it is a very convenient way to discuss business.
    It's an open space with a lot of room so you know exactly who's listening to what you say.
    No issue about secrecy on a golf course.
    Most of the time it's a bit away from the city and there's a good lounge restaurant, this also is convenient for business.
    Which very well refrects the schedule of a business manager.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It is real, and I have such a meeting in 2 weeks....my third, actually. 'Cept mine is customer-courting, not boss-employee, we're playing on the same team, hahaha. I happen to love them.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
  11. Nitzleplick

Nitzleplick

Aug 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's not what you know, it's who you know.

You have have a doctorate in potatoes but you're going to get crushed by the highschool dropout hooked up all over the county.

Golf is just a common mellow sport among executives too connect with their subordinates.

The Music industry is this to a T, I can't tell you how many musicians in labled bands who got hooked up with the band before they could even play am instrument! Part of success is part skill and part connections.

12. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I never have but my uncle holds most of his meetings out on the green than at lunch after a morning game.

13. It's very real but it's more about TIME than anything. Most executives who make decisions are very busy people and it's hard to get any time with them. A round of golf gives you a very relaxed atmosphere for uninterrupted conversation.

Interestingly enough, very little time is spent on the course discussing business but when you DO get around to the business part, it tends to be serious and you get a lot decided in a relatively short amount of time.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It's real. It's an easy open venue for free discussion of ideas and a great way to make connections. I've had a lot of deals and business carry over from the golf course.

15. You get to find out A LOT about your client / colleague / etc. on a golf course. The stories they share frame their outlook, whether they are a good guy, etc. As mentioned previously, when it comes to doing business, it can be done quickly, because you've already found out everything you want to know, which would take significantly longer in a corporate environment.

It's not for me at all, but then again, I'm not in the business world trying to schmooze clients. If I were, though, I'd have golf gear, and know how to play decently enough to impress folks.

ian

16. Nitzleplick

Nitzleplick

Aug 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    There was a story in my local paper about a group of local executives who got together and discussed business over World of Warcraft.

17. Yup.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    It's not so much about making a single deal over a game of golf, per se, as it is building a relationship for long-term deal making.

19. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I was invited to what I thought was going to be a business meeting only to find out my presence was requested because they needed a caddy. :rollno:

20. You invite a client to a game of golf, you are with that client for maybe 6 hours, golf, drinks and dinner afterwards. This is when the business takes place, after the round, in the lounge.
    If they are a serious golfer though, it's not likely business will be discussed during the round. That is considered bad form, and is frowned on.
    What it is good for is, you can see how a person reacts to different stresses during a round of golf. Golf will reveal a lot about a person's character. If he cheats, do you really want to trust a large money deal with them? If they make a bad shot, slam their clubs and lose their cool, they may not be able to handle the pressure of a big deal.
    You get the picture. It can be a very valuable tool to find out more about who you plan on doing business with.
    I have worked in the golf industry for about 16 years. 6 yrs as a club pro. I have seen many business relationships develop at the golf course. I have also seen many business relationships die a quick death on the course. Golf is serious business. :D