1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How refret a previously defretted neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dewi, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    I have a Marcus Miller neck that I had defretted (i had it done). It has some sort of wood filler/epoxy in the grooves. How would I go about refretting this neck? The only problem that I see is the filler where the previous frets were. Thanks in advance!

Dewi

Oh and I really like the darkstar pickups, how does everyone think it would work in a Musicmaster?

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    why don't you just have it done like you previously did? Other wise you will have to resaw the grooves for fret wire then just install new wire, file, level, file, level.

3. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    also you probably could get some good info in the luthiers corner.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If the filler is epoxy, then new slots will need to be sawn in - no that's not easy. But the problems won't stop there. The new frets won't press in easily - the residual epoxy in the end grain of the fingerboard slots will inhibit that. Hammering them in will be hazardous for the same reason - and the frets are likely to kink.

But assuming you get the slots resawn accurately and the board is levelled properly and you get appropriately sized frets in place, then all you have to worry about is trimming the frets to length, bevelling the ends to about 35 degrees, levelling all the frets, recrowning them, rounding the fret ends, and polishing them all.

If you haven't done this kind of work before, don't expect it to go well. It's not easy. Defretting is a whole lot easier.