Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How rusty is too rusty? Car input wanted.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just put my foot through the floor of my Saab SPG. I love this car, but I lack the time to give it the attention it desires. What I really need is car that can hold myself, my wife, my two kids, and my 130lb dog. Any suggestions? No, I can't afford an Escalade. :D

2. Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

They are very spacious, while not being overly huge, and priced very well for a vehicle of its class.

Then there is also the Ford Expedition. Equally nice, but it's a Ford. :rolleyes: I think they cost a few grand more too.

What kinda doggy? I like doggies, especially the big ones.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    canyonero.

:rolleyes:

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Pathfinder or X-terra.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Thankfully you can't afford an Escalade, what an overpriced piece of yuppie crap. Anyway, depending on your price range I would look at the Toyota Sequoia. They're built from the Toyota Tundra Frame. May be a bit more than an Explorer (Exploder) but I would generally stay away from the newer Chevy or Ford SUV's, unless your looking at heavy duty P/U's. The Ford Superduty, F250 & F350's, are really nice.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    He's a Newfoundland/Golden mix. He's as tall as a newf, but only as wide as a very large Golden. Coolest dog, smart, nice, good guard dog. Names Iggy.

[​IMG]

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    What about a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab? Doesn't seem to bad.

8. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Those are pretty cool, but I would plan on putting a topper on the back so you can carry your dog in the bed of the truck. The back seat would be way too small for two kids and a dog.

Very cool dog by the way.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I worry a bit about entering too deeply into S.U.V. terror-tory. Thanks for the compliment on my dog, I'll pass it on to him.

Hyundai scares me for that reason SMASH, but to be fair I'll do the research and see if I can't get over it.

I really would rather avoid payments, but I'm making them anyway in the form of repairs, so I might as well save myself the hassle. I called the insurance company to get an idea about what my premium would look like. It's more, but I can live with it. I need to remember to biuld that into my monthly cost when I look at prices/payments.

Farley, I won't buy a Ford Exploder. :D

10. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    One last suggestion then I'll shut-up. If you're looking at 4-door p-up's and you like the Nissan, then I would also look at the Tacoma crew-cab.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    awww....sad to see a car as cool as an SPG on its way out. those things are BAD!

anyways....what about a wagon? vw passat, audi avant, subaru outback (or my PERSONAL FAVORITE, the WRX :D ) Mazda P5, Toyota Matrix...all have AWD except the P5...and aren't SUV's :D judging you by the fact you rock an SPG - get the WRX!!!

or a subaru forester? VW's coming out with an SUV that will probably own every SUV out right now, but it'll be in the $30k+ area.

WRX!

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

I know, it's killing me. I may defy all reason and logic and just have it extensively welded.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "How rusty is too rusty? Car input wanted."

Well, its going to cost money to drive anything. How big is the hole in the floor? Has it affected the framerail/unibody section? Have someone take a real good look at the underside of the car to see how bad it is. Look at not only the floors, but the brake lines, gas lines, gas tank etc........ things can get mighty expensive quickly when these other things are taken into account. If your at the point of having rotten floors, the other stuff may not be far behind.

How many miles on it? Due for maintenance(timing belt, coolant flush, tranny fluid change, etc....?). How are the tires, belts, hoses, battery? These are all things to think about, too. It may not make a whole lot of sense to dump alot of $ into it.

As far as getting something else, Imo Id buy used. I have a buddy that sells cars/trucks, and Im seeing two to three year old Explorers and Grand Cherokees selling for half of what they were new. Let someone else get clobbered on the new car price.

Good luck:cool:

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

15. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    My dad is currently on his 3rd hyundai, the first was an 88 excel, it sucked, and at 120,000 miles needed some transmission repair, so he traded it for a 94 elantra. The only reason we got rid of it was because Pep Boys fubared the timing belt, it slipped off and blew the engine. he got his new Hyundai Sonata, and its running really great so far, Hyundai's aren't all bad, and we were gonna get the santa fe, but didn't have enough money.

16. Dodge SRT-10 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: added pics

17. If your into a slower pace of life....how about a Older pre1972 VW Van? these things are big and you can haul around lots of kids and dogs....I do most of my travels in this 68 VW van. It's pretty much in original mint condition.95% rust free too! I put in a brand new motor, complete brake overhaul, and some other minor things. I now only have about $4000 in it...this is a picture of it taken two weeks ago on the highest paved road in California at 10000. feet and climbing...Good luck with your Car search.

Fetch![​IMG]

18. two words.. Mini Van :D you can do ANYTHING with a mini van :eek:

19. And the first thing to absorb the impact of an oncoming ______ is your legs! :D ;)

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "It needs a new steering rack, radiator, and a few minor things."

Rack and pinions arent cheap, you may want to check pricing on them ahead of time. Same with the radiator, especially if one of the aluminum/plastic types. Plus, factor in any hoses/lines that may be needed with either, an front end alignment with the rack job, and it adds up pretty quick. Naturally, any work you do yourself will save $, so if youre mechanically inclined thats a plus.

I know its hard to want to get rid of the car, Ive got a 79 Chevy truck Im in the process of welding new floors/rockers/cab supports in. The frame is bent on this thing, the body is fair at best, and in all the years Ive owned it Ive put three transmissions in it, two transfer cases, one engine, two sets of doors, two batteries, two sets of tires, one fender and a box on it. I havent really spent alot of $(I use parts Ive acquired thru the years), just alot of time. Someday Ive got to get rid of this thing, but cant seem to bring myself to do so(and my Wife loves this truck-seriously).

Good luck:cool: