Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How sad and bizarre

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Nov 1, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A little girl who can't feel any physical pain, heat or cold at all.

I feel sorry for this little girl and her parents...I mean she probably doesn't realize so much but the parents probably worry themselves sick waiting for what must seem like "the inevitable." Who knows though...maybe there's a reason for it...maybe one day it will allow her to save someone's life or something.

5 Year Old Girl Can't Feel Pain

brad cook

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    She wil have to learn to be very careful.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have never seen this in person. I actually heard about it from a Spider Robinson book, and didn't believe it. Then I looked it up. It's real. But it's really rare.

It's scary. A lot of congenital ailments are scary. The kid has something wrong, but has never known different, so doesn't accomodate the problem. Sometimes that can be inspirational. Mostly it's just frightening. This little girl won't live long. :(

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Real life X-Men????

-Mike

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah...but not in the good way.

(On a side note, I love that phrase. It puts an odd slant on anything.)

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

very scary , for her and her family ...
    never to learn the reality of fire , for example , could be tragic .
    this girl and her family are going to learn some awful lessons ... she should be in our prayers .

7. well, look at it from a positive view, at least she'll never cry through apin. And god help any bullies who try to beat her up.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had a buddy of mine that couldn't feel pain from the waist up. He made for a great bouncer.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's a negative. She won't know if anything is broken, or sprained. If she breaks her wrist, for instance (nothing you can really do, just set it and wait), she would have no idea, and keep trying to use a broken wrist, or knee, or have internal bleeding she can't feel, or any number of problems.

Believe me, there is no bright side to not feeling pain.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Just think of all the money you can make off people. Picture this:

"Wanna see me staple my hand to the desk???? $5 and I'll do it".

-Mike

11. It may cause her untold injuries, but I say go little girl!! Get into something like firefighting. Someone who doesn't knwo the fear of pain is someone I want trying to rescue me.

Rock on
    Eric

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Except that she never made it into the building because she got impaled on a long splintered piece of the doorframe and tried to continue hurrying in.

Housefires are sightless environments. It's black. You can't see anything but the bottom portions of the fire itself. Without the warning of pain, going into an environment like that would be suicidal.

Besides most firefighters have no fear of pain whatsoever anyway. They're kind of freaky like that.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, I saw this earlier today.

It really creeped me out when they mentioned she had bitten the flesh off of her finger, and burned her hand on the engine of a pressure washer.

14. I can't see the article (stupid Yahoo, it's a conspiracy against me I swear), but it sounds so awful. As much as pain is a bad thing, you need it to be a balanced person. Every kind of pain, physical and emotional, makes you who you are.

Plus, like it's been mentioned, she won't know the risks of dangerous things.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    cool... yet. bummer.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wonder if she feels something is funny, or nothing at all?

17. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    This happened to my teachers friends daughter. Couldn't feel pain and had a split intestine or something, didnt realise it and was rushed to A&E but didnt recover

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sure she feels her hand pressing against something when she touches a hot iron, too bad it probably feels the same as leaning against a wall.

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No, I ment when the tissue is damaged, will she feel that something has happened to her or will it go unnoticed?

On the positive side, if there's enough people to start a organization for people suffering from this, they must be able to make it past their 20's somehow :)